Help with finding St. Basil quote

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Help with finding St. Basil quote

Post by searn77 »

I would really like to read the following quote from St. Basil the Great in its full context but I'm having problems locating it. Does anyone know where online I can read the full letter/epistle/whatever where this quote is from? I have had no luck googling it and thought maybe I could find it on the Catholic New Advent website but I haven't been able to find it yet.

"As for all those who pretend to confess sound Orthodox Faith, but are in communion with people who hold a different opinion, if they are forewarned and still remain stubborn, you must not only not be in communion with them, but you must not even call them brothers." (Patrologia Orientalis, Vol. 17, p. 303)

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Re: Help with finding St. Basil quote

Post by GOCPriestMark »

This appears to be the page - http://archive.org/stream/patrologiaorient17pariuoft#page/300/mode/1up - but the quote you have is not on it. It claims to be Volume 17, but perhaps the reference is to the original page 300. This page 300 is ½ original text and ½ English and the reference at the top is "John of Ephesus". At least from that link you might be able to navigate to the right page.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Post by searn77 »

GOCPriestMark wrote:

This appears to be the page - http://archive.org/stream/patrologiaorient17pariuoft#page/300/mode/1up - but the quote you have is not on it. It claims to be Volume 17, but perhaps the reference is to the original page 300. This page 300 is ½ original text and ½ English and the reference at the top is "John of Ephesus". At least from that link you might be able to navigate to the right page.

Thank you father! I'll definitely check it out.

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That quotation could be quite useful to be able to quote with a confirmed link or
source to cite for skeptics !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

searn77 wrote:
GOCPriestMark wrote:

Thank you father! I'll definitely check it out.

Please do share if you find specific information.

I agree with Barbara; this quote and its source would be invaluable.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Amen, that is a fabulous quote. I will ask around and see if anyone I know can tell me what is the original work.