Patristic Theology and Alexander Men

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Patristic Theology and Alexander Men

Post by Matthew »

Christ is Risen!

Does anyone know what the problem with Alexander Men's theology is? Hieromonk Sava Bogdan made this comment last November, and I have no idea what he is referring to:

"...they are united in their common apostasy, the apostasy of which the ever-memorable Bishop Lazarus (Zhurbenko) spoke. In order not to say too much before a conciliar judgment, I will only say that this concerns the matter of the heresy that Alexander Men preached. The Orthodox will know what this is about, and I am not concerned about the thinking of the non-orthodox."

The full document is posted here:
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... =30&t=9447

Thank you,
Symeon

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Patristic Theology and Alexander Men

Post by jgress »

I'm not sure but apparently he was baptized in the Catacomb Church.

http://www.alexandrmen.ru/biogr/english.html

My understanding is that he ended up being very ecumenistic. This is probably the objection he refers to, but maybe there are others. I'm not familiar with Men's work.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Thank you Jonathan. I think he was killed also, so that would mean he was a martyr, at least according to some.

Symeon

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Yes, Alexander Men was a pitiful graceless parasynagoguer of the likewise graceless so called "Moscow Patriarchate".

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

So if I understand the above comments, his main heresy was that of ecumenism. I don't understand why Fr. Sava wrote so elusively about what his errors were when he could simply have said the "ecumenism of Alexander Men". I wonder why he was then killed, I assume, by the Soviet State?

Symeon

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Icxypion wrote:

So if I understand the above comments, his main heresy was that of ecumenism. I don't understand why Fr. Sava wrote so elusively about what his errors were when he could simply have said the "ecumenism of Alexander Men". I wonder why he was then killed, I assume, by the Soviet State?

Symeon

It's not known who killed him or why. His supporters suspect it was elements of the state, on account of his religious views, since the Soviet Union was still officially atheist. Although he was in the MP, and the MP was (and is) a branch of the Soviet government, the Soviets still persecuted anyone in the MP who could be suspected of political dissent.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:
Icxypion wrote:

Symeon

It's not known who killed him or why. His supporters suspect it was elements of the state, on account of his religious views, since the Soviet Union was still officially atheist. Although he was in the MP, and the MP was (and is) a branch of the Soviet government, the Soviets still persecuted anyone in the MP who could be suspected of political dissent.

I read a book about Father Men, and it was very apparent that he was killed either by an agent of the government or a religious fanatic who hated God. He suffered a brutal martyrdom. May the Lord have mercy on his soul.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.