"Nihilism" by Eugene (Fr. Seraphim) Rose

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Ephrem
Jurisdiction: FROC/ROAC

"Nihilism" by Eugene (Fr. Seraphim) Rose

Post by Ephrem »

I just wanted to link this for everyone. It was written by Fr. Seraphim of Platina before he became a monk. It is part of a larger, uncompleted work, entitled The Kingdom of Man and the Kingdom of God. This section, which is really only one chapter from that work, has been published by St. Herman Press under the title Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age.
It is only fair to point out that Fr. Seraphim was asked during his life by another monk to publish this work, but decided not to. That being said, it is still a very sober assessment of modernity, written by a man who went on to write several other books that were equally sober and critical of the condition of modern man.
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/nihilism.html

Ephrem Cummings, Subdeacon
ROAC

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: "Nihilism" by Eugene (Fr. Seraphim) Rose

Post by joasia »

Thanks Ephrem. I have an E-Reader and love to download such sources. If you have more, please share. It's been awhile since I read this but it's good to refresh.

I love his works. And I'm so disappointed that I can't find a copy of his book on Genesis, Creation and Modern Man. That's the only book I haven't read yet...from him. If only someone can post a PDF file of it. I would be so grateful.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy and mail it to you.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Cyprian,

That is very generous of you to offer. But, I don't want you to put yourself out.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)