theologoumena

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: theologoumena

Post by joasia »

jgress wrote:

Then again, I think there has to be room for the concept of an idea that is not dogmatic and for which there is no patristic consensus. E.g. whether or not angels can physically mix with women. Just because the term itself is of non-Orthodox origin is not sufficient to reject the concept that the word signifies.

An Orthodox Christian definitely needs to have the ability to discern between fantasy and reality. As for the example of the sons of God and the daughters of men, it is a reference to their spiritual state. The sons of God were the men that worshiped God. The daughters of "men" refers to those that rejected worship of God because they were involved in the occult. The reference to "men" signified that these women were bound to the flesh and defied the worship of the true God. And the sons of God fell because of their weaknesses. It's not about fallen angels, but of fallen men.

About the toll-houses, I don't see a heresy in understanding that when we die, we are judged. We are judged for every word we have spoken (or written) in idleness. And I do believe that the demons will bring up every sin of word or action that we have performed even if we did confess it. I do believe we are on trial for our souls. And I do believe that our guardian angels will be there to defend us. If he is there for us during our lifetime and we pray to him for protection, then his duties are definitely obvious when we die. The saints have explained that we will face this personal judgement. So why would the toll-house belief be considered a heresy? We are told, by the holy fathers, that there will be a personal judgement. Everything that we did or said will be judged. I think people are just scared to face that scenario so they dismiss it. But, it's real and we will all have to face it. Isn't that why the holy fathers instructed us to always remember death? And that includes many Greek saints. We need to remind ourselves that since we are living, one day we will die. I've thought about that many times. Reminding ourselves of that brings us to repentance, because then when we say, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner then we really mean it.

We are existing now, in this world. That means that one day we will, in our flesh, face death. We can't escape that. It will eventually happen. Just think about it. You will be dead one day. The important thing is that you are in a state of repentance when your time comes. And then the judgement. Toll-house or not, there will be a judgement for everything you have said and done and thought. The holy fathers have explained that.

Forgive me for going on this tangent. But, it is so important to remember. True repentance is what Jesus Christ wants from us.

In Christ,
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)