Counsels from the Holy Mountain.

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Catherine5

Re: Counsels from the Holy Mountain.

Post by Catherine5 »

These are interesting indeed.

These missives from the Elder are a reminder that one can never "Coast" but must start a battle to free oneself, and never let up.

I fear many have illusions that they are fighting either on OR to embark upon the correct path but have not yet stepped on that path.

Well, roses await those who take firm and consistent action! But the thorns are reserved for the faint, weak, and deluded.

I am speaking, for one example, of a sort-of friend who pretends to be "changing" her life to be in alignment with God and His Legions of Saints and Angels.
Her actions reveal that she is stuck in demonic patterns, where she will not free herself, as there is NO will-power for this huge endeavor!
The truth is that we must all understand the tactics of the demons.
They allow their target, or the person they occupy, to speak words seeming to agree about the dire need for a big change.
Occasionally, for example, this woman will cry out "I don't want to go to Hell! I'm not a child though I want to stay one, I'm 5_ years old and I HAVE to change".
But then the same old behavior patterns reveal to anyone with ability to scrutinize that she hasn't even stepped forward to fight those battles of which the Elder reminds us so eloquently and forcefully.
The demons are not intelligent. They bank on the fact that all of us humans are busy, preoccupied with so many diverse topics, that we will NOT be able to look back and assess WHAT the person HAD said and how they did NOT fulfill their promises to make big changes in their lives.

It's so true about keeping the wrong company.
I didn't mean to go on and on, but I think sometimes it's good to bring up REAL world dilemmas with the details of true life cases.
Spiritual counsels ARE lovely and help impress our souls with high resolutions.
But what about specific problems, such as this type, which I suspect all of us must confront in most all people with whom we have to interact on a regular basis: co-workers, people in our Churches, a multitude of other associates?
Because today most of the humans around - especially as I always say in Europe and America - are the plaything of some sort of low spirit, if not a demon, if not MANY demons!
If we are not aware of this, these people can hurt us badly and make us veer off our spiritual paths by tripping us up. That's after all, what demons are out to do, not much else.

Maybe this is not the thread to discuss it.
After all, though, tomorrow is Fathers Day.
We HAVE to think of our spiritual fathers and mentors -- such as Metropolitan Philaret's example.

This woman has visited many Orthodox monasteries, is in a TOC with a great priest. But she is still the same!
HOW really can the demons which stop the soul's further progress be thoroughly and permanently removed?
She confesses and receives the Holy Mysteries, but -- still little change - and this may be true for many.
This woman is a very obvious example which draws out the question: what about the more subtle situations where the demons still occupy that person despite baptism by triple immersion, etc. Some of these people are much more able to hide the behavior and symptoms of demons, as I suspect is true in many cases of people brought up in American culture, without real belief in God let alone knowledge of asceticism ? Without striving and immense work on that latter, anybody will attract demons who refuse to leave them!

Costas, you don't have to answer this, just keep going with your nice posts!
I believe, though, that these questions are crucial to examine SOMEwhere appropriate.
Especially as it is what could be called "Spiritual fathers day" this weekend!

To be respectful to our mentors throughout the ages, we have to pay attention both to their writings but also for OURSELVES, to diligently study the ways demons use humans so to detect their presence and modes. So, too, to help others who are enslaved by demons, we must analyse their patterns.

I just got reminded in the last few days that this is one of the patterns. I think it wise to try to discern all of their tricks.
Thus we who try to fight this type of attack can be much smarter.

Silver
Sr Member

Post by Silver »

Catherine5 wrote:

HOW really can the demons which stop the soul's further progress be thoroughly and permanently removed?

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places....
(Ephesians 6: 10.. ).

Silver
Sr Member

Post by Silver »

Chapter Five

On Obedience, Disobedience,
and Cutting off of the Will.

I always pray to our good God that you walk the true path of the monastic life. Do not forget against what enemy we are conducting the war and the battles, for salvation should not be pursued superficially. Compel yourselves; think about the reason why we became monks. We abandoned parents, brothers, sisters; if, however, we do not also abandon our own will and are not obedient, then we shall not find mercy when our souls are judged. Reflect on eternal punishment and do not forget paradise; for we shall earn one of the two. For the sake of us unworthy ones, Christ showed perfect obedience to His Heavenly Father, as well as to His Mother according to the flesh—our Panagia—and to Joseph the Betrothed; how much more should we cut off our will and have obedience to our spiritual father on account of our sins! The martyrs will present, as a fruit of their piety, their terrible martyrdoms; the confessors, their holy confession; the holy hierarchs, their labors against heresies; the monastics, their ascetic struggles; what will we (and first of all, I ) present? If, however, we are obedient and cut off our will for the love of our Christ, we have also borne fruit; we will also offer something, so that we will not go empty-handed like the slothful servant (vid. Mt. 25:24-30 ).