Priests separated from thier wives

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
mmcxristidis

Re: Priests separated from thier wives

Post by mmcxristidis »

"Please forgive me for getting off the subject. I’ll shut up now. :)

Joanna

Nothing to forgive, sorry if I appeared harsh. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Have a good Nativity fast
Minas

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

This is from a footnote to the Apostolic Canons, (as far as I can tell, the footnotes are all from St. Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain), and it seems to me to be a true expression of what we believe, (in other words, I see no fault in it), but it also does not come with any canonical penalty.

"So, inasmuch as it may be inferred, from all that we have said, that a married couple ought not to be separated, therefore it is necessary for one side of the couple to bear with the other patiently, according to St. Gregory the Theologian. Thus, the wife ought to put up with her husband even though he insults and beats her, even though he spends her dowry, and no matter what else he may do to her; and just as much ought the husband to put up with his wife even though she is possessed by demons, as mentioned in I Timothy 4:1, and even though she is suffering from other defects, and has diseases, according to St. Chrysostom (in his Discourse on a woman bound by law, etc.). And yet that imperial and external laws on many accounts permit married couples to separate and be divorced, St. Chrysostom (in the same place), in the course of voicing opposition to them, says: “God is not going to judge in accordance with those laws, but in accordance with the laws which He himself has laid down with regard to marriage."
"There is but one reasonable ground for divorce, and that is the one ordained by the laws, according to Emperors Leo and Constantine, when one party plots against the life of the other (Title XIII, of the selection of laws). A married couple may be divorced reasonably enough, again, when one party is an Orthodox Christian, and the other party is a heretic, according to Canon LXXII of the 6th Ecumenical Synod; or when there is a blood relationship by marriage, according to Canon LIV of the same Synod; or a relationship due to baptism, according to Canon LIII of the same Synod; and also when the lord of the couple will not consent to their being wedded, according to Canons XL, XLI, and XLII of St. Basil. As to the proper form of a Letter of Divorce, see at the end of this Rudder."
Footnote 68, the last 2 paragraphs

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

mmcxristidis

Post by mmcxristidis »

Thanks Fr. Mark.
Seems like married people in those times put up with alot of abuse which would be sure grounds for divorce in this day and age. I'm surprised it did'nt make mention of adultery as grounds for divorce. Now trying to have your spouse murdered, that I can see as really good grounds for divorce