Saint Peter

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Incognito1583

Saint Peter

Post by Incognito1583 »

I was wondering what the Orthodox view is regarding Saint Peter. Do we believe he was the chief of the apostles, or equal to the others? Thank you.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Yes, both.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

GOCPriestMark wrote:

Yes, both.

That's a contradiction. If he is chief, then he is not equal. You cannot have it both ways. You must decide which it is.

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Incognito,

Code: Select all

"Primus inter pares."  Get out your Latin primer and look that one up, and/or read [i]The Primacy of Peter.[/i]  (Sorry that I keep getting you mixed up with Joasia.)
Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

Pravoslavnik wrote:

Incognito,
"Primus inter pares." Get out your Latin primer and look that one up, and/or read The Primacy of Peter. (Sorry that I keep getting you mixed up with Joasia.)

I know what that term means and I've already read that book. Why don't you answer my question? Was Peter the chief and prince of the apostles?

I am not implying Roman Catholicism. I just want to know what the official Orthodox view is regarding Saint Peter.

Yes or no, was Peter the chief of the apostles?

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

And can you refer me to a patristic or canonical source attributing Peter as the first among equals? I understand the theology, but can you give me the patristic data? I think I know of one reference to this but I'm not sure.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

It's simple, open the June Menaion to the 29th and read the service written for St. Peter.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia