The Papacy on the Holy Fathers

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
rafael_daher

The Papacy on the Holy Fathers

Post by rafael_daher »

Dear All,

A friend of mine is defending the papacy arguing with some quoatations of the Holy Fathers. He send to me this: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12260a.htm

The principal quotation:

St. Ignatius of Antioch. A few years later (about 107) St. Ignatius of Antioch, in the opening of his letter to the Roman Church, refers to its presiding over all other Churches. He addresses it as "presiding over the brotherhood of love [prokathemene tes agapes] The expression, as Funk rightly notes, is grammatically incompatible with the translation advocated by some non-Catholic writers, "pre-eminent in works of love".

Why we can argue, with the Holy Fathers, that this primacy is not of leadership, like the roman catholics claims, and not of honor, like our Church teaches? I know of some quoatitions about that, but im finding new quotations against basicaly against this arguments of the Papacy on the Holy Fathers and Tradition.