St Sarmean: How True Hierarchs Act When They Make Errors

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

I lost respect for Moss when he told me Pope Liberius was an Arian. That was totally false.

I was just reading today how the Armenians and Syrians yielded to the apostolic see in Rome on many occassions. Mant of them acknowledged the primacy in Rome.

Lenexa

Post by Lenexa »

This is definitely a question for another topic but are any of you in correspondence with Vladimir Moss?
There have been others who have pointed out that as prolific, intelligent, and erudite of a writer Moss is he none-the-less has many times has had short-comings exposed in the light of academic scrutiny of some of statements.
Evfimy you have had correspondence with him? Anyone else?
I am curious because I would like to send him a message and ask some questions.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Lenexa,

he none-the-less has many times has had short-comings exposed in the light of academic scrutiny of some of statements.

We are in the year of 2008 and I have read many statements since the passed 8 years. Now that ROCOR is with the MP, we see which way they are going.

My question is, since the last writings of Vladimir Moss, which way was he going?

"Acedemic scrutiny"? Well, that would sound right. Scholastic theologians are quite intellectually dead and if they see a living soul, they can't stand it. Understand?

They oppose the truth and being confronted by people who witness with faith in God.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Lenexa

Post by Lenexa »

Joasia
I like Moss very much but I have been informed that there have been times when he has omitted or stretched the truth to validate his position.
Personally I trust everything he writes to contain what he believes to be the Truth so very seldom is anything he writes incorrect however there have been discussions in the past over his scholarship.
"The Fall of Orthodox England" is probably one of my absolute favorite books of all time. Having had a great interest and studied Medieval English History I couldn't stop reading it once I started. However there is criticism over his using the "Deathbed Prophecy of St.Edward the Confessor" in an Orthodox book. His interpretation is fascinating but the prophecy itself was not written till much later.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... c&start=84

To be honest I am still amazed that as much as he knows about the goings-on in the G.O.C. during the late-'70s and during the '80s under Archbishop Auxentios that he did not become disillusioned. However I am certain he believes it to be a matter of Divine Providence that Archbishop Chrysostomos II is at the helm. After all that went on that is nothing short of a miracle!

What has always bothered me is that with all of Vladimir Moss's knowledge of history he fails to see how often it was not cut and dry and that the question of "Where is the Church? and Where are the Mysteries?" was often sketchy at best for the laity if you agree with Moss's stance on Ecclesial Grace and the use of Oikonomia.

I find myself loving his work and writing while at the same time wondering whether Moss believes the End of the World will come in the next few years to vindicate all his work.
I don't mean to be rude but it seems to me that we are still have more than ten years till the End Times. I don't doubt for one second that it could come today but I just have trouble believing that we are that close and that almost all of Orthodoxy has fallen. But this reflects the fact that I still identify with "World Orthodoxy."
But I am open to learning and ready to leave once I find something to really convince me. Maybe in my foolishness I have not realized that it is better to split before the Pope and EP serve the Liturgy together?

But to answer your question that last I recall Moss was leaning towards if not already a member of the ROAC but then left after the "Name-Worshippers" were not condemned by the synod for committing heresy. Though I believe just recently they were condemned. However he is now under the omophorion of Archbishop Chrysosotomos II and, I believe, happy with where he is at.
This is all I know if I am correct.

buzuxi

Post by buzuxi »

Vladimir Moss is a lightweight who seldomly understands Orthodoxy and only sees that which he wants to see. If you want "traditional" contemporary Orthodox theology try reading Alexandre Kalomiros or John Romanides or Fr Seraphim Rose or even George Florovsky.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Those who promote the writings of heretics such as Kalomiros and Romanides show themselves to be the true lightweights. Their writings are certainly not worth reading. Their writings are neither traditional nor are they Orthodox.

Fr. Seraphim Rose opposed both these two, so it makes no sense to lump the three together. Many of Fr. Seraphim Rose's writings are edifying, but I would not place them on the same level as the great fathers of antiquity.

St. Isaac the Syrian:

Beware of reading the doctrines of heretics, for they, more than anything else, can arm the spirit of blasphemy against you

buzuxi

Post by buzuxi »

Funny how you quote St. Isaac the Syrian the one Orthodox saint who was a nestorian, member of the Assyrian Church of the East. The Fathers of Mar Saba Monastery in Jerusalem had no problem reading him.

Protestant converts telling me what is true Orthodoxy, funny.