Can icons representing the Father be venerated?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: Can icons representing the Father be venerated?

Post by Justice »

There is the argument that since Christ became man, we can portray him but the Father, hasn't taken on a human form nor has the Holy Spirit. While an icon may have been used in ancient times during the service, that doesn't make it venerable.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Dcn Joseph of the Orthodox Metropolia considers the icons to be of western origin. Though he is still favorable of the icons because they have been venerated for hundreds of years. Gregory of Colorado has also spoken out against these icons calling them of papal origin.

Link: http://www.trueorthodoxy.info/con_error ... ther.shtml

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Dcn Joseph of the Orthodox Metropolia considers the icons to be of western origin. Though he is still favorable of the icons because they have been venerated for hundreds of years. Gregory of Colorado has also spoken out against these icons calling them of papal origin.

Be very careful of Gregory's videos and websites.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Very true, he is still schismatic. Maybe he's become so paranoid about anything being replicated in Roman Catholicism that his paranoia has produced articles like this one. Dcn Joseph Sudian I'm also rather shocked by as he and hieromonk Enoch have defended the "New testament trinity" countless times over at NFTU.net. On another note, I don't think this thread discussed about the seventh ecumenical council which prohibits depictions of God the Father.

"The Council decreed that the veneration of icons was not idolatry (Exodus 20:4-5), because the honor shown to them is not directed to the wood or paint, but passes to the prototype (the person depicted). It also upheld the possibility of depicting Christ, Who became man and took flesh at His Incarnation. The Father, on the other hand, cannot be represented in His eternal nature, because “no man has seen God at any time” (John 1:18)."

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Very true, he is still schismatic. Maybe he's become so paranoid about anything being replicated in Roman Catholicism that his paranoia has produced articles like this one. Dcn Joseph Sudian I'm also rather shocked by as he and hieromonk Enoch have defended the "New testament trinity" countless times over at NFTU.net. On another not, I don't think this thread discussed about the seventh ecumenical council which prohibits depictions of God the Father.

"The Council decreed that the veneration of icons was not idolatry (Exodus 20:4-5), because the honor shown to them is not directed to the wood or paint, but passes to the prototype (the person depicted). It also upheld the possibility of depicting Christ, Who became man and took flesh at His Incarnation. The Father, on the other hand, cannot be represented in His eternal nature, because “no man has seen God at any time” (John 1:18)."

Yet, Christ told us, "He who has seen Me has seen the Father."

This is why there is famous Russian Icon of the Holy Trinity depicting the Three Angels at the Oak of Mamre where all the angels are depicted as identical.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Why in these icons does it always depict Christ as a child and holding the Holy Spirit?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Why in these icons does it always depict Christ as a child and holding the Holy Spirit?

(1) The icon you have posted is from Ancient Faith.com, which is run by the world orthodox.
While you can pick your poisons and kool aids, it is not safe to do so.
In fact, it is best to avoid anything harmful to your spiritual, mental, or physical health.

(2) In English classes, we are taught that it is best to avoid the words "never" and "always," unless we can prove definitively that some dogma or teaching is always true or never true.