Grace

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
maximus
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Grace

Post by maximus »

Forgive me, it seems as an Orthodox Christian I should know what is specifically meant by the word "Grace" as in "God's Grace." But for some reason, right now, I realize I don't know what it means. What is the definition of Grace? The literal definition if possible and the theological (?) definition.

For example, when I hear that "outside of the Church there is no Grace," what is meant by that? Is it a tangible thing? Or is it something else, like "there is no Grace = there is no way to be saved"? Right now, this is really on my mind and I believe I need help in understanding.

Thank you so much.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

+ St. Maximos the Confessor

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Grace

Post by Barbara »

I will let one of our many excellent and well-versed members answer that powerful question.
Glad you asked, maximus, so we can all learn more and sharpen our knowledge.

maximus

Post by maximus »

I am excited to learn more about this...

It's funny, I did not know about the GOC-K union with the SiR... I don't think this is a coincidence that I am suddenly concerned about what Grace IS and then learning that about this union.

“Sometimes men are tested by pleasure, sometimes by distress or by physical suffering. By means of His prescriptions the Physician of souls administers the remedy according to the cause of the passions lying hidden in the soul.”

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Grace simply means the Energy of God, i.e. God working in the world (as opposed to His Essence, or God-in-Himself), and is generally associated with the Third Person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, since it is God the Holy Spirit who acts invisibly in the world to bring men to salvation. There is a basic distinction, however, between charismatic and sacramental or mysteriological Grace. Charismatic Grace is the Holy Spirit acting throughout the world to bring men to repentance and knowledge of the truth. It is not confined to actions within the Church Herself. Sacramental Grace, on the other hand, is the action of the Holy Spirit within the Church, in particular in the Holy Mysteries, which actually carry out the salvation of men through cleansing from sin and unification with the Divine Nature.

This Grace is generally understood to be confined only to the True Church, i.e. the True Orthodox Church, and is what people mean when they talk about Mysteries being grace-filled or not, or there being no Grace in this or that jurisdiction. It means that, outside the Church, there is no true baptism or chrismation or communion, so that extra-ecclesial baptism is simply sprinkling or immersion in ordinary water, chrismation is simply anointing with ordinary oil and fragrances, and communion is simply consumption of ordinary bread and wine.

The complications arise when we discuss under what precise conditions a group of heretics can be expelled from the Church, or alternatively what kind of lapse of time may intervene between expulsion from the Church and loss of Grace. What I was told about the ecclesiology of the GOC (before the union with the SiR, mind you) was that the GOC had made a local decision that the new calendarists and ecumenists were outside the Church and devoid of sacramental Grace, but that as this was a local decision, it was not a matter of faith for everyone in the GOC to believe that the ecumenists were without Grace, but only that they must not have communion with them. So I knew individuals who believed that the new calendarists had no Grace and others who believed that they did.

This doesn't sit well with some True Orthodox, who believe that the question of Grace is itself a matter of dogma and that it is a heresy to believe there is or even might be sacramental Grace outside the boundaries of the Church, as defined by either an ecumenical or a local council. It appears that the union with the SiR was carried out on the assumption that the question of Grace is still unsettled; the only position on which the SiR was required to change was their assertion that the ecumenists were definitely still in the Church and definitely still had Grace.

So that is my understanding of the issue. I'd like to remind everyone to keep their posts irenical in this public forum, although any corrections of fact are welcome. We have a thread in the private forum that allows polemical discussion of the GOC-SiR union and the question of grace.

Dcn.Ephrem

Post by Dcn.Ephrem »

Grace is the Uncreated Energies of God, which bring about sanctification and deification in man. It supports all of creation, and it acts on all people, but it is only united to and inwardly received by those within the Church. Which is to say, it acts on everything from the outside, but it only acts from the inside within a Christian. We receive Divine Grace when we partake of the Holy Mysteries, and in general when we live a Christian and pious life.

Fr. Michael Pomazansky writes it this way: "Grace is the power of the Holy Spirit that penetrates the inward being of man, leading to his spiritual perfection and salvation" (Orthodox Dogmatic Theology).

The Mysteries of the Church possess Grace, while the so-called mysteries of heretics do not. The Fathers even say that the sacraments of heretics are really a curse.

Fr. Deacon Ephrem Cummings
Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC)

maximus

Post by maximus »

I think I understand, as much as I'm able to, what Grace means. Thank you so much for your responses. Mr. Gress, Fr. Ephrem. Thank you.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

maximus wrote:

I think I understand, as much as I'm able to, what Grace means. Thank you so much for your responses. Mr. Gress, Fr. Ephrem. Thank you.

Indeed, Grace is a Holy Mystery of God as it is one of His Uncreated Energies, so we can never really define it or completely comprehend where Grace is to be found or is not to be found. After all, God is everywhere present, and fills all things.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.