Toll-Houses vs Purgatory; Vision of St. Xenia

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Toll-Houses vs Purgatory; Vision of St. Xenia

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:
Maria wrote:

St. Xenia of St. Petersburg recounted a vision she had of her late husband leaving Hell and being transported into Heaven. How can this happen, as there is a tremendous gulf between Hell and Heaven according to the Gospel parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus told by Christ?

Because the particular judgment is not definitive. There is still hope. Ony hte last judgment is definitive. Another example is the case of the Emperor Trajan that went to paradise thanks to the prayers of Saint Gregor the Great (I think).

The terminology in English, Spanish, French is not often clear because I see the words hell, enfer, infierno, and it is not clear which Greek word in the liturgical text they are supposed to translate. I still wonder which are the original Greek words used in the original texts and the meaning of them.

I think part of the confusion is my fault. Forgive me a sinner. I used the word "Hell" when the term "Hades" is more appropriate. From what I have recently read and learned, at the Last Judgment, Christ will banish the demons and the damned to Hell. This is why the demons have the ability to tempt us because they are not confined to Hell yet. And yes, through God's mercy and our prayers, some souls are released from Hades and allowed to enter Heaven as was the case with St. Xenia's husband.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Toll-Houses vs Purgatory; Vision of St. Xenia

Post by Maria »

Here is a link to an excellent essay concerning this topic, "Life After Death," by St. John Maximovitch:

http://www.orthodox.net/articles/life-a ... vitch.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.