Date of Christmas

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Re: Date of Christmas

Post by NadirGP »

Joasia
You wrote:

Perhaps the winters were a lot warmer back then, 2000 years ago. You need to consider what the people were experiencing back then, not now. Most people analyse what they know from their experiences, but don't consider that the times, back 2000 years ago were much different times. Just the same, it's still not as cold, in that area, compared to what we get here in Quebec. Today it was around -20C, your conversion -4F. For the shepherds here, they could not stay out in that cold...especially because of the Northern winds. But, in Bethlehem, I think it was a lot more balmy.

In John 18:16-19 we read:

But Peter stood at the door without. The other disciple therefore, who was known to the high priest, went out, and spoke to the portress, and brought in Peter. The maid therefore that was portress, saith to Peter: Art not thou also one of this man's disciples? He saith: I am not. Now the servants and ministers stood at a fire of coals, because it was cold, and warmed themselves. And with them was Peter also, standing, and warming himself.

The evangelic text says that everybody were near the fire because it was a cold night. That was not December but most likely late March / early April. So much for “more balmy” (Bethlehem, a short distance from Jerusalem) in December 2000 years ago.

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

It isn't His "birthday." Orthodox people don't celebrate birthdays, we celebrate name-days.
It is The Feast Of The Nativity According To The Flesh. What time of year The Theotokos gave birth is irrelevant.
The obsession with birthdays is a modern contrivance.

NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

Post by NadirGP »

Lydia wrote:

It isn't His "birthday." Orthodox people don't celebrate birthdays, we celebrate name-days.
It is The Feast Of The Nativity According To The Flesh. What time of year The Theotokos gave birth is irrelevant.

Who ever has said anything about birthday?
Read what is there, not what you think it might be said.

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Of course it's His birthday! And yes, Orthodox Christians don't traditionally celebrate their birthdays in the flesh, but that is a separate matter. In the Church calendar, there are three sacred birthdays we celebrate: the birthday of our Lord on December 25, the birthday of the Theotokos on September 8 and the birthday of the Forerunner on June 24.

You can call them "Nativities" if you like, but Nativity is just a high-falutin Latin word for birthday.

The celebration of Christ's birth is theologically significant because there were heretics who denied that Christ really took on flesh and had a fleshly birth.

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

NadirGP wrote:
Lydia wrote:

Who ever has said anything about birthday?
Read what is there, not what you think it might be said.

You asked about the date of His birth. That's a birthday, isn't it?

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

jgress wrote:

Of course it's His birthday! And yes, Orthodox Christians don't traditionally celebrate their birthdays in the flesh, but that is a separate matter. In the Church calendar, there are three sacred birthdays we celebrate: the birthday of our Lord on December 25, the birthday of the Theotokos on September 8 and the birthday of the Forerunner on June 24.

You can call them "Nativities" if you like, but Nativity is just a high-falutin Latin word for birthday.

The celebration of Christ's birth is theologically significant because there were heretics who denied that Christ really took on flesh and had a fleshly birth.

I know we celebrate these birthdays, but the dates of the celebrations don't have to correspond to the actual day in history that the event took place.
"high-falutin" Good term! :lol:

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

NadirGP wrote:

Joasia
You wrote:

Perhaps the winters were a lot warmer back then, 2000 years ago. You need to consider what the people were experiencing back then, not now. Most people analyse what they know from their experiences, but don't consider that the times, back 2000 years ago were much different times. Just the same, it's still not as cold, in that area, compared to what we get here in Quebec. Today it was around -20C, your conversion -4F. For the shepherds here, they could not stay out in that cold...especially because of the Northern winds. But, in Bethlehem, I think it was a lot more balmy.

In John 18:16-19 we read:

But Peter stood at the door without. The other disciple therefore, who was known to the high priest, went out, and spoke to the portress, and brought in Peter. The maid therefore that was portress, saith to Peter: Art not thou also one of this man's disciples? He saith: I am not. Now the servants and ministers stood at a fire of coals, because it was cold, and warmed themselves. And with them was Peter also, standing, and warming himself.

The evangelic text says that everybody were near the fire because it was a cold night. That was not December but most likely late March / early April. So much for “more balmy” (Bethlehem, a short distance from Jerusalem) in December 2000 years ago.

NadirGP wrote:

Moreover, I do not think it was in winter for two reasons: The shepherds were minding their sheep on the hills in the night time; and Augustus the Roman Emperor would have been very unlikely to order a census for people coming from the four points of the earth during winter time.

If Christ was born in April or so and the Crucifixion happened in April or so, then why were the shepherds sleeping outside when the angel came to them? There is no mention that they were huddled around a fire...if it's supposed to be the same month of both occurrences. But, when the trial occurred, people were huddled around a fire and in the city, for that matter. Wouldn't it have been colder out there in the fields?

Basically, you are saying that Christ was born in March/April because the shepherds were out in the field. But, the Crucifixion happened in March/April where the people of the city felt that it was so cold that they needed to huddle around a fire. So, that same month, it was cold and warm, 33 years apart. Go figure. Weather.

Let me ask you. Have there been months where one year it was pretty warm and another year it was freezing cold, on that same date? How often does Texas get snow? How often does South Carolina get a blizzard? Even Athens has had snow. Is it possible that every year, on the same day is the same temperature?

You can't base descriptions of weather as proof of what month it was. That's being a rationalist. The Church has established that Christ was born in December and He was Crucified in April. There are ancient documents that describe the census of Augustus. It wouldn't be in April when the Jews are migrating to Jerusalem for their Passover. Imagine the mess. So many dispersed Jews.

But, when it comes down to it, the weather they had back then is what they had. In December, it was reasonable enough for the shepherds to sleep outside. In April, it was cold and why not? A great sacrifice was being made. Perhaps God had a hand in it.

But, when it comes down to it, I believe in the Church's teaching that Christ's birth was in December and His Crucifixion in April.

Don't let the demon of doubt penetrate your heart. Rationalizing too much just creates more turmoil in the soul.

Hope you work it out.

God bless.

In Christ,
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)