Date of Christmas

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Date of Christmas

Post by jgress »

One could argue that Tradition is not unanimous on the date of Christmas. If I recall correctly, celebrating on December 25 was the custom in the West and Egypt, while in the rest of the East it was celebrated on the same day as Epiphany, i.e. January 6. The Armenians still celebrate Christmas and Epiphany together on that date. But where did the December 25 custom come from, and why did Constantinople and Antioch eventually agree to it, if they didn't believe it was authentic?

I agree with Joanna that one shouldn't get hung up on these details. I think it's possible to give Tradition the benefit of the doubt, without falling into despondency if the historical facts turn out to point the other way. Either Tradition made December 25 the day of celebration since that was the actual date on the Julian calendar when Christ was born, or else Tradition settled on that day for other reasons. In either case, we can be sure it was the Holy Spirit that made the decision and we have nothing to worry about.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

One could argue that Tradition is not unanimous on the date of Christmas. If I recall correctly, celebrating on December 25 was the custom in the West and Egypt, while in the rest of the East it was celebrated on the same day as Epiphany, i.e. January 6. The Armenians still celebrate Christmas and Epiphany together on that date. But where did the December 25 custom come from, and why did Constantinople and Antioch eventually agree to it, if they didn't believe it was authentic?

I agree with Joanna that one shouldn't get hung up on these details. I think it's possible to give Tradition the benefit of the doubt, without falling into despondency if the historical facts turn out to point the other way. Either Tradition made December 25 the day of celebration since that was the actual date on the Julian calendar when Christ was born, or else Tradition settled on that day for other reasons. In either case, we can be sure it was the Holy Spirit that made the decision and we have nothing to worry about.

Indeed, we live in the eternal presence:

Today Christ is born!
Today Christ is baptized!
Today Christ is hung on the Tree!
Today Christ is Risen!
Today Christ is Ascended! (whose Icon prefigures His Second Glorious Coming)
and
Today Christ is coming for all who will receive Him!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

St Seraphim of Sarov always greeted people "Christ is Risen!" even outside of Pascha. At the same time, since the human mind wants to compartmentalize, we have a calendar that helps us distinguish the various mysteries we celebrate and allows us to focus on one thing at a time.