Arabic icon of Theotokos

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Arabic icon of Theotokos

Post by joasia »

I found an icon of the Theotokos in a discount store for used clothes and articles. I couldn't leave her there. The icon looks pretty Orthodox to me. The writing says Mother of God save us. It looks like it could be about a specific event where she saved some sailors. Is anyone familiar with Arabic icons?

But, I can't upload my pic here. I keep getting the message that the attachment is not valid. Can someone let me know how to do this? I have it in my picture folder.

Thanks

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Arabic icon of Theotokos

Post by Barbara »

That's interesting to find Icons unexpectly in these Goodwill-type stores !
I found a neat one of the Theotokos, too, in a similar type of secondhand store. It's Greek : I've been meaning to ask which one it is.

Also in another, earlier, I found pretty amazing little icons of St Paul [speaking of him re the World Orth. thread of today !]
and another masculine saint which I have saved. They were i hate to say, Made in China, I think !
Like Joasia, though, I could NOT leave them there to be unappreciated by the masses of people browsing !
I had to give them a home.

I am eager to see the Arabic one of Mother of God and the Sea - I was thinking about that quite a bit last few days.

Maybe someone can instruct Joasia how to upload ? I haven't figured it out, either !

We have some pro's here. Where is Cyprian for example ?? Waiting to hear from you !