Passion-bearers?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Passion-bearers?

Post by jgress »

Christos anesti!

It is well-known that the Moscow Patriarchate refused to canonize the Royal Martyrs as true martyrs, but as "passion-bearers", i.e. they allegedly did not die for the faith, as ROCOR in 1981 claimed, but they merely met their violent deaths in a Christian manner.

Did the MP invent this category of Passion-bearer, or are there other saints that are universally venerated as passion-bearers, as opposed to martyrs? I never heard of passion-bearers outside the context of the MP and the Royal Martyrs, but I may be ignorant.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Passion-bearers?

Post by Maria »

Should I dare google for this information?

With revisionists rewriting history, unless one carefully searched, it might be difficult to arrive at the truth.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

It is not an innovation. It is also the case of Saint Gleb and Boris, they have the same title of passion-bearers. See here for example :
http://www.roca.org/OA/76-77/76s.htm

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Thank you, Jean-Serge. I discussed this very case on the Indiana mailing list. It seems to me that the distinction is traditional, but doesn't mean what the MP revisionists want it to mean. The MP wants the term "passion-bearer" to mean someone whose death need not be related to the defense of Orthodoxy, but this does not seem to be how the term is traditionally used. With regard to SS Boris and Gleb, for example, these martyrs were murdered by their pagan brother Sviatopolk because they were devout Christians. However, in their case, they were not given the opportunity to recant their faith, which does make them a different kind of martyr from, say, St Stephen or St Barbara. Nevertheless, the Church understands their death to be martyric; SS Boris and Gleb are venerated as Russian Proto-Martyrs, as well as passion-bearers. Likewise, the Tsar-Martyr Nicholas and his family were not given the opportunity to renounce their faith, but their murders were still very much connected with their faith and their status as representatives of Orthodox monarchy. The MP wants to make the death of the Tsar and his family completely unrelated to the faith, since the martyric significance of the Tsar's murder is connected with the anti-Christian nature of the power that ordered his death, namely Soviet power. The MP owes its existence to that same power.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

In fact it was the day of the Translation of Relics of Sts Boris and Gleb that day this was brought up !

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

There is certainly nothing derogatory in the term "Passion-bearers", and they are in no way "lesser" saints than holy martyrs. I remember that Met. Philaret would often refer to the Royal Martyrs as "Passion-bearers" in explaining their podvig, back in the years before the ROCOR glorified them, and when many within ROCOR still questioned the glorification. It is true, however, that the MP uses this term to underline what they see as a difference between them and "real" New-martyrs, who, they say, died directly because of their faith and not because of "politics", and therefore most True Orthodox in Russia now make a point of referring to the Royal Martyrs specifically as martyrs, rather than Passion-bearers.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That's really great, Mother Evfrosinia, to hear this anecdotal evidence which gives so much perspective.

Do you have any idea what percentage of Rocor [approximately, of course] favored the Glorification
and what percentage opposed, or questioned it ?

That is interesting, too, that the True Orthodox make a point of describing them as Martyrs to differentiate
from the MP's rather ambivalent stance.