The Problem of Suffering

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

The Problem of Suffering

Post by JamesR »

I made this thread on another forum, and I thought I'd ask it here too. Kind of a classic, age-old question--but, still a good one, nonetheless. So, tell me, why does God allow bad things to happen? This is one of those big mysteries that really makes no sense to me no matter how I look at it. No matter how "figured-out" I may think I have it, there always seems to be one fatal problem with it that sends the whole answer sprawling apart. I've noticed this with several of the apologetics that allegedly solve this problem. The western answer to this question is usually something along the lines of "free will hurr hurr!!", which, doesn't make too much sense or hold very much water when you really examine it. I've noticed that the eastern answers I've received are usually something along the lines of God allowing it to happen in order to test and strengthen us. My problem with this answer is that it seems to detract from God's almighty power. If He could do anything, then why would He need evil and suffering to achieve His agenda? Likewise, it gives too much power to the concept of evil, and reduces Orthodoxy to dualism. So what is the proper answer to this question?

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The Problem of Suffering

Post by Maria »

Welcome back!

Have you ever read C.S.Lewis' The Problem of Pain?

Although Lewis was not an Orthodox Christian, he held orthodox viewpoints.
His own struggle with the problem of pain and suffering led him to believe in Christ.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

Maria wrote:

Welcome back!

His own struggle with the problem of pain and suffering led him to believe in Christ.

I actually read that several times back when I was a Protestant--back when I thought I had it all logically figured out. Lewis makes some good points in that book, but, I still cannot help but think that the free-will argument is lacking. I don't see how free-will answers why people die from health problems when no one chooses to be sick, or why people suffer from natural disasters. Plus, it can be pretty unsettling. Are we to assume that the only reason God doesn't stop child prostitution or genocide is because he wants to preserve the free-will of the offenders at the expense of the victims? If that were the case, then I'd retort that I think it would have been better if God never created us at all.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I have told this story somewhere before, but it is important.

There was a man who enjoyed a good life, but who had forgotten about God.

One of his sons who was taken to church weekly by his grandmother, became a Greek Orthodox Priest. However, the father remained more of a cultural Greek than Greek Orthodox.

Shortly after the son's ordination, the father started having health problems, which grew progressively worse. Finally, listening to his wife, he saw his doctor and underwent medical testing. His wife's fears were confirmed: her husband had Lou Gehrig's Disease. Although the priest-son prayed for a miracle, nothing seemed to happen. At times the son even doubted his own faith. He prayed and fasted, visited monasteries, requested relics with which to bless his father, but his father continued to become weaker. Finally, the father with tears in his eyes, told his son to stop asking for a physical miracle. He told his son that all his prayers and that of others had already accomplished a great miracle as the father like the Prodigal Son had finally come back to his senses, repented of his sins, and desired to meet Christ in the Heavenly Banquet. In addition, the father stated that if he were to be healed, then he feared that he would return to his life of depravity and abandon the faith. He convinced his son that this disease was truly a blessing and was permitted by God for his salvation and for that of his son.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

JamesR wrote:
Maria wrote:

Welcome back!

I actually read that several times back when I was a Protestant--back when I thought I had it all logically figured out. Lewis makes some good points in that book, but, I still cannot help but think that the free-will argument is lacking. I don't see how free-will answers why people die from health problems when no one chooses to be sick, or why people suffer from natural disasters. Plus, it can be pretty unsettling. Are we to assume that the only reason God doesn't stop child prostitution or genocide is because he wants to preserve the free-will of the offenders at the expense of the victims? If that were the case, then I'd retort that I think it would have been better if God never created us at all.

So, for you, suffering is only acceptable as a payment for sin? Think that one over for a while. Read the book of Job, as well.
You state that God, while able to stop such things as child prostitution, chooses not to. How do you come to this conclusion?
I would suggest to you that God has indeed supplied the means to end this kind of inflicted suffering. People must stop inflicting it!

You, like me, live in a time and place where we have peace, comfort and an abundance of everything we need ( and a lot of what we don't need.) Give thanks for God's blessings. Don't hector Him about what you consider His failures. Look to yourself, James. What have you done to alleviate someone's suffering?