On Beards, Men's & Women's Clothing, & Head Coverings

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: On Beards, Men's & Women's Clothing, & Head Coverings

Post by Justice »

Cannon XLII of the sixth ecumenical council says that monastics should live in the monastery with short hair.

Link: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214 ... xliii.html

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

It's never a bad idea to keep such warm clothing items on hand. Who knows what weather conditions may prevail at any given moment ? In fact, instead of putting away winter clothes, it may be wise to keep them handy.

However, I will skip the corduroy shirts. I do remember those being popular in the mid-60s, but the material was both ugly and uncomfortable, not to mention masculine : unsuitable for [ real ] ladies !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

It's never a bad idea to keep such warm clothing items on hand. Who knows what weather conditions may prevail at any given moment ? In fact, instead of putting away winter clothes, it may be wise to keep them handy.

However, I will skip the corduroy shirts. I do remember those being popular in the mid-60s, but the material was both ugly and uncomfortable, not to mention masculine : unsuitable for [ real ] ladies !

Even now, there are four styles of corduroy shirts: fitted, semi-fitted, regular cut, and bulky. The regular cut and semi-fitted are still modest and warm, and they are not masculine at all. However, the fitted ones show off the figure, so they may not be very modest at all.

The bulky corduroy shirts (unlined jackets) with gathers at the yolk in the front and back remind me of old pictures of Chinese peasants. They are great at keeping one warm and are usually worn like a jacket over a blouse, but they make one look like a peasant: formless. I would rather wear a coat, but sometimes, a bulky corduroy jacket is wonderful to wear while traveling in a car whereas a pea coat is a little too long. Furthermore, coats can be a bit uncomfortable (too hot and/or too much bulk) when taking a long road trip.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I prefer to pray when traveling, so clothing that is too tight, that can become too warm, or that is too bulky is not good, and in fact, is quite distracting.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.