First Vigil Lamp

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: First Vigil Lamp

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

I have vigil lamp with diameter of 7 cm and a similar height. How long should the wick be? I intend to use the old believer wickholder and not the floating cork. You can see this model here. Does it require to maintain the oil a a particular level. Do I also need to impregnate the wick with oil before lighting it.

I would love to see the model, but it did not show.

I did find this picture of an Old Believer wickholder and wick:

http://orthodoxincense.com/vigillamps.html

An Orthodox Priest said that cotton yarn will work with these wickholders.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Oh, I made a mistake. The wick-holder can be seen at this link. My question is essentially regarding the length of the wick.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Oh, I made a mistake. The wick-holder can be seen at this link. My question is essentially regarding the length of the wick.

Not only the length is important to know, but also how does one thread it through the hole?

I have never used one and do not have the slightest clue.

Most likely, I will use those 100% Beeswax Greek wicks sold by Eastern Christian Supply that are shaped in a tri-bar float, not ones made by the Athonite monks.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Meanwhile, I discovered what I can see now is an Athonite-style wick and cotton thread in a distant drawer this very day. Good timing on the resurrecting of this thread !
I had not the faintest clue how to use it in a lampada all these years, maybe 15 or more.
It would be great to finally follow clear directions and be able to USE them. I have lampadas but never
was able to light the all-important candle flame in them, which takes away greatly from the traditional
mystique of lampadas.

Actually< I am afraid of them overturning or creating a little tiny fire. For that, though, I have enlisted the help
of several small Burning Bush icons !

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I see this Eastern Christian Supply is from the Etna monastery. Seems most of their products are Bulgarian.
While that doesn't appeal to me, here is one perhaps unusual offering, called "Icon Scarves".
I checked that, expecting to see Icons silk-screened onto scarves - !
But in fact they are the Central or Eastern European type which drape around the top of the Icon :

https://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/ ... /c79/42778

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Well, I will make some tries and let you know.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.