Baptism in extremis by laymen

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Something to make you think

Post by Cyprian »

The following books by St. Optatus, which also predate St. Augustine, will also be beneficial to those interested in this topic.

The Work of St. Optatus the African
Bishop of Milevis
On the Schism of the Donatists Against Parmenian

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefat ... _book1.htm

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Baptism in extremis by laymen

Post by Maria »

I hate to ask a "what if" question, but if I were with my non-Orthodox friend who is a Roman Catholic, and if she were to ask for Baptism in extremis because of her current heart condition, and if there were no laymen around who could baptize her, then couldn't a woman who is a member of True Orthodoxy baptize another woman in that situation? There are no True Orthodox churches where I live. The closest one is at least two hours away.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I suggest getting in touch with Bishop Sergios. The last thing you want to do is not take the opportunity to baptize someone because some internetodox has decreed it's an abominable heresy for a woman to perform a baptism in extremis.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

I personally know in a true orthodox church about a lady who baptised someone because there was no other opportunity and the bishop told by phone it was OK.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

And it IS important to try and get in touch with your bishop. This is obviously a "gray area" where there's not a lot of precedent to rely on. If you contact your bishop and he tells you yes or no, then you have respected the hierarchy. If he says no, then you have to work out with him how this woman can get baptized.

Hieromonk Enoch
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Post by Hieromonk Enoch »

At the very back of the English language Pedalion are contained the Canons of St. Nikephorus. On page 970, is listed a set of additional Canons, specifically Canon VI and VII which state:

Canon VI
In case of necessity even a monk who is neither a cleric nor a priest may baptize a child; and likewise may a deacon.

Canon VII
When no Priest is available, unbaptized infants must be baptized by anyone present, even though he be their own father, or anyone else, provide he is a Christian and he is not sinning.

If you notice on page 972, we find note 3, which is attached to Canon VII, which states:

"This Canon is also mentioned also in the Epitome of the Canons by Armenopoulos, Section 4, headings 2 and 14, in which even a layman is permitted to baptize (vol. I of the Acts of the Synods).

In Christ,

Fr. Enoch

“We cannot destroy the Ecclesiastical Canons, who are defenders and keepers of the Canons, not their transgressors.” (Pope St. Martin the Confessor)

http://nftu.net/

http://westernorthodoxchristian.blogspot.com/

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Fr. Enoch,

So women are not allowed to baptize in any circumstance?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)