Shaving for women

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
ANGELA

Shaving for women

Post by ANGELA »

I would like to know is shaving for women a sin? Can someone direct me to an orthodox website where it says this. I have tried Orthodox Chrsitian information but can't find anything on this subject.

Thankyou

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Dear Angela,

Why would shaving be sinful? There's nothing wrong with taking care of one's toilet. The danger comes when it leads to vanity, and so we must always be on our guard. This is true of everything that we do with regard to our appearance - not just shaving - and is equally applicable to men and women.

GOCTheophan

Re: Shaving for women

Post by GOCTheophan »

ANGELA wrote:

I would like to know is shaving for women a sin? Can someone direct me to an orthodox website where it says this. I have tried Orthodox Chrsitian information but can't find anything on this subject.

Thankyou

I believe the Russian Old Ritualists would say yes.

Maybe it suggests vanity.

Do you have a priest you can trust?

Theophan.

Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse
Jr Member

Re: Shaving for women

Post by Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse »

GOCTheophan wrote:
ANGELA wrote:

Thankyou

I believe the Russian Old Ritualists would say yes.

Maybe it suggests vanity.

Do you have a priest you can trust?

Theophan.

"Modesty with Elegance" as a Monk I know would say...

There is a pride in sackcloth and ashes as well.

in Him
SB

Last edited by Benjamin W. C. Waterhouse on Mon 29 January 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The Synod of Metropolitan Cyprian adheres wholly to the exact same ecclesiological and dogmatic principles as our Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia,"

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Thank you, benjaminw1 for a sensible post.

(Sorry to see you go, BTW :cry:).

ANGELA

Post by ANGELA »

Thankyou everyone

I have asked someone spiritual and he says yes it is a sin for woman to shave. God made as as we are. There is no need to perfect what our Creator God made. Same applies to makeup etc etc.

Thanks
Angela

GOCTheophan

Post by GOCTheophan »

ANGELA wrote:

Thankyou everyone

I have asked someone spiritual and he says yes it is a sin for woman to shave. God made as as we are. There is no need to perfect what our Creator God made. Same applies to makeup etc etc.

Thanks
Angela

Angela the problemn is that if we rush into becoming completely Holy overnight we can do great damage to ourselves aswell as others around us. It is best to take what your Spiritual Father says in these circumstances if he tries to keep within the Mind of the Church that is. Benjamin's point is very true.

Theophan.