How to address and greet Orthodox Clergy and their wives?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Dear Justin,

First off, your explanation of particulars vs. general makes sense--NOW that you have explained yourself better. I misunderstood what you meant.

I find it interesting that you presume to tell me what I have and have not read. Have you ever thought that perhaps two people can read the same thing and come to different conclusions?

People should feel fear and trembling at the thought of being a priest. But the desire to be a priest is not unnatural if it is put in the proper Christian attitude of self-sacrifice. Wanting to be a priest--and knowing full well the jeapordy one is putting his soul in--but wanting to do it to serve God and fellow man, is a noble goal.

And again you presume about my motives. Just because I usually tell people whatever they would like to know about me, I will let you know that I am not "persuing" priesthood. I have discussed diaconal ministry with my wife but have no plans to be a priest at this time.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Orthodox Clergy Wife

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Orthodox Clergy Wife

by Matushka Valerie G. Zahirsky

What does it mean to have a wonderful title, and no real job description? The position of the wife of a priest is exactly this. The various languages or every Orthodox country have titles of honor for the priest

Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

ania wrote:

Just a quick note, a bishop can serve liturgy alone, if he does it in the capacity of a priest, which I have seen done, so, he can serve without a deacon.
Ania

Hi Ania, Yes, this is true, which is why in my previous post I said "A Bishop cannot serve a HIERARCHICAL Liturgy without a Deacon"

That is to say - a Bishop's Liturgy cannot be performed without a deacon.

Actually, come to think of it, I noticed an error in my previous post - one priest would still be necessary for a Bishop's service too if every portion of it were to be served. Certain things like the Small and Great Entrances could not be performed without a priest to assist in lifting the Gospel, and taking the Chalice respectively.

a o

Joseph D

Post by Joseph D »

Justin Kissel wrote:

I'm confused as to why someone would want to be a priest, but that's none of my business I suppose. :(

Once a few years ago, the parish council president of the local GOA church here in town asked me to lunch where he then admitted to having "an alterior motive" for asking me there. I was just an undergrad at the time and much too young for the pursuit, but he proceeded asked me if I would consider the priesthood. I was shocked. I did not even laugh in my nervousness. I think I stopped breathing for a minute and just stared at him with my mouth hanging open, half-terrified. I put my fork down and proceeded to tell him what a terrible person I was (though I am much worse now). He told me he thought I could do it. Looking back, I think I only attended services there a few more times before I went to the ROCOR parish to "re-convert" as it were.

I think if providence were to place me into a situation in which there was some obvious need and I were the last candidate available I would probably just run away again. That being said, were I to find myself the subject of some sort of "shotgun" ordination, I would take the post with the gravest, deadly seriouness. Because that what it is, deadly serious. I am certainly happy just to plunk along as I am without that grave burdon of caring for the souls of others. It is no sin to be just a secular, is it?

Sincerely:
Joseph

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

Part of their allotted role is to keep good order in church, too.

Thank you for the sometimes lengthy and detailed posts. I appreciate all the effort taken.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Re: Kissing of Hands

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Alpha Omega wrote:

However, it should be noted that in the Greek Orthodox tradition, deacons hands are kissed because, in actual fact (and contrary to the suggestion of the original post), the deacon takes the Body of Christ in exactly the same way as a priest does - in the palm of his right hand.

The only difference is that deacons do not pick up the Body from the diskos themselves - rather they receive it into their hand from the hand of a priest. Otherwise it is the same - ie they hold the Body in the palm of their hands as they pray the Prayer Before Communion ("I believe and I confess that Thou art...")

It is a Russian practice not to kiss a deacon's hand - but I am not sure why Russians thought this up - probably because they considered the deacon to be kind of a glorified altar boy. In fact, the deacon takes the same oath as a priest at ordination, and is subject to the same rules with regards to his life, appearance, how he runs his household etc. The differences are liturgical. Priests are obligated to administer the Seven Sacraments on behalf of their ruling Bishop, whilst a deacon cannot.

With regards to deacons being called father, the Greek practice is to call them "Deacon", as is, apparently, the Old Ritualist Russian practice.

Actually in my experience and what I have been told by Greeks at GOC churches is that in the Greek practice, "Father Deacon" is never used and a deacon is exclusively called "Father".

Although "Father Deacon" traditionally was only a title only used in formalities in the Russian tradition, I have noticed that is even used in casual situations as well by the laity in modern times.

spyridon

Post by spyridon »

I once heard a Vladyka say in his sermon how a deacon,a Priest,And a Bishop were all called to Serve God and it was the Deacon that is in charge of so much,he went on to say that how ever long one stays a Deacon is determined by the Holy Angels at the Alter and hoe they see the order being kept in all the Services. in other words this deacon job could be a lifetime if you are good.
being in between The Priest and the People is sometimes alot of hard Work that unfortunately goes unnoticed..and I congradulate the Man who posted that his Father has been a Deacon for over 25 years(may God Grant Him many Years)...and if anything come from these posts let us respectively tell our Deacons how much we appreciate there Service to God...................