How to address and greet Orthodox Clergy and their wives?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
CorpusChristi

Greeting a Priest of Greek Orthodox Church

Post by CorpusChristi »

I searched and searched but couldnt find if it has been addressed before, so I will just ask here...
How do you greet a Greek Orthodox Priest..
I mean Ive only been with the Russian Church and we usually touch the floor with our right hand and then right hand in left palm we receive a blessing thru the Priests hand and we Kiss the roght hand of the Priest as it lays in our palms.....
does one greet the Greek Priest`s the same Way????

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Greeks...

Post by Kollyvas »

You can and there's nothing wrong with it, but be prepared for him to simply outstretch his hand in the form of a cross, and not put it in your palm, to kiss. It is also customary to say Evlogeite Pater.
R

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Re: Greeting a Priest of Greek Orthodox Church

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

CorpusChristi wrote:

I searched and searched but couldnt find if it has been addressed before, so I will just ask here...

How do you greet a Greek Orthodox Priest..

I mean Ive only been with the Russian Church and we usually touch the floor with our right hand and then right hand in left palm we receive a blessing thru the Priests hand and we Kiss the roght hand of the Priest as it lays in our palms.....

does one greet the Greek Priest`s the same Way????

Dear CC, generally yes, but I would like to pass on some instruction on when you touch the ground before asking for a blessing that came from Saint Philaret to his altar boys, one of which was my spiritual father.

You only touch the ground first for monastics. So for hieromonks and bishops, touch the ground first. For the non-monastic clergy, simply cup you hands and ask for the blessing.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: How to address Clergy

Post by Matthew »

Lot's of interesting information on this thread. I recommend people scan through and pick up some good info on this topic. There are so many things I have yet to learn. When we become Orthodox, we stand on the shore of a vast, inexhaustible ocean of spiritual and historical knowledge. Its riches are past finding out entirely.

Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: How to address and greet Orthodox Clergy and their wives

Post by Maria »

Some posts have been split from this thread.
Three new threads can be found below, but these have been moved into the Controversial Polemics boards at the bottom of our forum.

How to address Protestant Clergy?
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... =6&t=10057

How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... =6&t=10059

How to address clergy of World Orthodoxy?
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 12&t=10062

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.