Make-up

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Is make-up a sin?

Yes, and almost every woman will burn in Hell

6%

No, but lust can make it bad

94%

Total votes: 16

Chris

Make-up

Post by Chris »

If a woman satisfies her natural and harmless needs to have a nice appearance. It is sinful when a woman artificially improves her appearance ONLY when she does this because of lust. Canon 96 of the 6th Ecumenical Council forbids women to fix their hair etc. when they want to corrupt those who see her("εν τή κεφαλή τρίχας πρός λύμην τών ορόντων").

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Re: Make-up

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Yes, and almost every woman will burn in Hell

This is strange.

ania

Post by ania »

Hmmm, roasting in hell... I guess it's good that I'm just naturally beautiful... :mrgreen: JK... I tend to wear make-up for business meetings, as it makes me look older (baby-faced, as I am, it's not good to meet clients & look like your just outta highschool). Every once in a while, on a night out, I will put it on, but it's not for the intention of drawing lust, or whatever, it's that if I am getting dressed up, a bit of makeup gives it a polished (ha, my friends would say, Ania, polished... ha) look. I very rarely wear makeup to church (usually on a Sat night if I have plans after vigil), and if I have lipstick/chapstick on before communion or venerating icons, I wipe it off. I wouldn't choose either of those options in the poll.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Same thing for me, Ania...to further complicate it, I work in esthetics, so I put makeup on people like everyday...

AVOID THE BLUE EYESHADOW :lol:

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

I personally think heavy makeup looks bad on a person. In an optimal society people wouldn't have to wear make up, but things are a little more complicated in a fallen world. With something minor like this I think it's best to let the one without sin cast the first stone.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This poll is so weighted to one side by its wording that I cannot cast a vote. Let us try to make more options that a super negative one against our view and the one we want everyone to vote for in the future. There is a reason we allow 10 options in a poll.

Bruncvik

Post by Bruncvik »

I think this is a rather silly non-issue.