Make-up

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Is make-up a sin?

Yes, and almost every woman will burn in Hell

6%

No, but lust can make it bad

94%

Total votes: 16

Alyosha

Post by Alyosha »

I have to admit it's an issue for me. I only wear eye-liner and mascara and I would really love to give them up - but I HATE how I look without it. I go back and forth. So it's an issue of accepting what has been given to me by God. And, many women (and I'm guilty of that as well) wear make-up to look more attractive to men. Same as putting on "sexy" clothes - one never does it for the sake of clothes, but rather to attract male attention. I realized when I was trying to dress sexy or whatever that it's a sin not only because I'm being vain, but (this is even worse) I'm tepmpting others around me. Okay, that my one cent.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

I like that you have your avatar of Saint Xenia, Olga. (Though, I may not be a woman, I too would sometimes wear sexy men's clothes to attract women, there was a time in the past I attracted some homosexuals, without any intention or noticing they were being attracted! :shock: ) Nightmares. But if it is a desire of anyone, to keep himself or herself of worldly things such as make-up, one must first put it in mind that everything is done for the Lord and our salvation. The issue on make-up is acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to wear make-up outside of Church for many reasons such as work, social...etc. It's just like the traditional issue with the Hair-cutting or Beard-shaving, (the beard tradition is only for priests but for everyone as a sign of high respect and elderly wiseness.) Now the "burning in hell" part... well, having make-up on doesn't mean a person has no faith, just like a priest without doesn't mean he isn't a worthy priest you know... There are exceptions...

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Rafael,

I think it is bad when a woman feels she needs to wear make-up.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

When I met my husband, he was delighted that I was not into wearing makeup. In fact, he told me that he was allergic to it. So I don't wear any. I can truly say that I am so thankful to be liberated from wearing masks, like some of my old teachers.

It's hard to believe, but in the 1960's it was almost a necessity for women to wear makeup. A properly educated lady wasn't considered "polite" or socially acceptable if she didn't wear some lipstick. In fact, I recall my mom always wore these accessories in public: lipstick, nylons, gloves and hats, matching purse and shoes, which were considered the proper attire for ladies. Slacks and long skirts were just not in fashion then.

My have things changed. Women dress like men and wear underwear in public. These fashions are far worse than lipstick, in my opinion. :P

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

ania

Post by ania »

Many of my non-Ortho guy friends are delighted at me not wearing makeup, they think more women should do that... even though, when I do wear makeup they say "Ania, girl, you look HOT."

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

"To she who knows what good is, and does it not, to her it is a sin"

If you don't see a problem with make-up, then I certainly have no authority to judge you. If, however, you think it wrong but wear it anyway, while I still have no authority to judge, I will be perplexed by the seeming contradiction between belief and praxis.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

I don't see anything wrong in wearing a little makeup to enhance ones natural beauty...and as I said, that is part of my business..also there is a whole world of makeup devoted to camouflaging birth defects/physical disfigurements and that is a truly wonderful thing.