maslenitsa

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

maslenitsa

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

anyone have an especially good time? :D

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I am eating way too much. And listening to too much music and watching too many movies. I am ready and excited for Lent.

An interesting anecdote about "maslenitsa" in ex Yugoslavia (Hercegovina to be exact...

During the Monday the day after Meatfare Sunday all the pots and pans are scoured and then boiled in hot water as to remove any "mast" or lard/fat that should remain. Gypsies (Roma to be p.c.) who are in Hercegovina predominately Muslim, go from door to door of Orthodox Christian faithful to rid the houses of any left over meat, like for instance smoke bacon (slanina). I thought that is a cool story my husband told me from the Old Country.

Blessed fasting to you all.
In Christ
Tessa

Господе Исусе Христа, Синe Божји, Помилуј ме грешну!

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

hhhmmm interesting 8)

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I've definitely been eating up what eggs and cheese I have left. Last week was great, cleaning the kitchen out as far as meat was concerned. I had a steak with some beans and a beer on meatfare Sunday. This weekend I'm going to have a big, cheesey omlette right before kickoff :mrgreen: I too, have been listening to a lot of music. This will be my second Lent, and I'm making a habit out of listening only to Church or instrumental music during Lent (i.e. classical, basically).