Icons

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mary Kissel

Icons

Post by Mary Kissel »

I was wondering if anyone had a favorite icon, or one that they liked more than another one? Also, I was curious if there were any certain style of icon that you prefer over another? such as Greek or Russian etc.

Timotheos

Re: Icons

Post by Timotheos »

Mary Kissel wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had a favorite icon, or one that they liked more than another one? Also, I was curious if there were any certain style of icon that you prefer over another? such as Greek or Russian etc.

I much like the traditional Russian style. And my favorite ikon is probably either the "Kazan Mother of God" or the "Mother of God of the Sign" ikon.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Lord Have Mercy!

Last edited by romiosini on Sat 17 September 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I personnaly like the traditional athonite style there is a certian icon on the holy mountian of the theotokos painted in the 16th century. with the theotokos holding her son which I would have to say is my favorite.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I feel somewhat "drawn" by the icon of Saint Juliana of Lazarevo (it's the first icon in the second row at this site).

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I have a lot of favorite icons, but I think a couple that I like the most would be the one icon of Christ as the Bridegroom... where He's wearing that purple robe and has the rod in His hand.... it's hard for me to describe right now, but there's just something about that icon that draws me to it.... I also like the icon called 'Sweetly Kissing'

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I think that both the Greek and the Russian icons are great, especially because you can see the cultural "tint" in them even though they're essentially unchanged in format. My favorite icon is the Arizonatissa from St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, AZ. I also have a pseudo-copy of the Portaitissa that I bought in Ouranopolis on my way to the Holy Mountain, but it isn't actually THE Portaitissa (the one at Iveron). I'm not sure if there is more than one or something, but it's still going to be something of a family heirloom for us, since I carried it all over Mt. Athos with me and had it blessed there, etc.