Share Your Lenten Recipes Here!

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Fasting Recipes

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

In the Thanksgiving thread below "lounger" noted:

I recommend putting lots of vegetables in the crock pot on the high setting at night with 1 can of water to 1 can Swanson's 100% fat-free vegetable broth and lots of seasoning salt and other spices like thyme and basil. Before you go to work in the morning, set it on low, and add more seasonings if needed anf then you will have a wonderful stew when you get home. I serve it over rice by putting rice in the bottom of your dining bowls then scooping the stew on top of the rice.

I personally like to add potatoes, carrots, green and lima beans, peas, carrots, onions, cabbage or spinach, tomatoes, corn, chesnuts, broccolli and various squashes.

Also mentioned was the need to have a thread where everyon contribues recipes.

For such a thread, a lurker named Johanan send me this recipe to post:

Lounger

Post by Lounger »

Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it sometime this week!

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Share Your Lenten Recipes Here!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

With the Great Lent coming up, I thought I would start a thread where everyone could post some of their favorite Lenten recipes. Please feel free to post as many as you like, as there are many days in Grat Lent and the more variety, the better!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

bump

I could suggest "bread," but I guess that's not what you had in mind for this thread, lol. :)

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

personally I like to make wheat cereals during lent. they are good for obeying the laws of the fast and an all around good lenten food. I take a half a cup oatmeal and cook it. after that I add two table spoons of flour to make a kind of gruel. it does not actually taste bad. not many may like it though :?
I once heard a story of some pilgrims who were traveling when it began to get dark out and an old hermit found them beside the road. he wanted to give them good hospitallity so he took them back to his earthen hut where he prepared a sort of slop for supper. after that he put the bowls on the table for them and then he stooped down to the floor and picked up some dirt. he took a handfull and mixed it into each bowl. he then said "so we get what our boddies need but do not enjoy it" I think this is the true spirit of the fast not indulging in food or anything too deeply. there are many good lenten recipes though but I prefer plain old grains during lent with some vegetables or bread.

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Soups!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I like to make soups during the Great Lent. I just throw Vegetable stock into the Crock Pot and then cut up a variety of vegetables. I let them cook all day (often I start them right before night prayers) and then add rice an hour or so before I serve it.

Thoese packages of 15 varieties of dried beans are good to use for soups too.

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

broth

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

in a soup during lent when meat is not allowed what do you use for broth? is it allowed or not?