Slightly different fasting practices?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
someguy
Jr Member

Slightly different fasting practices?

Post by someguy »

Christ is risen!!!

As we are approaching the end of bright week I can't help but think that the calendar now says to relax the Wednesday & Friday fasts to allow "oil".

I understand that this is because of the forty days etc though I have met different clergy over the years and some say its all good whilst others say that, no the strictness should not be relaxed as that is a later modification and the ancient tradition is not to do so :?

Can I have some feedback on this from forums participants?

Thanks

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Slightly different fasting practices?

Post by Maria »

Welcome to the forum!

The fast is somewhat relaxed after Pascha and before Ascension Thursday because we are still singing and saying, "Christ is Risen." In addition, Christ did say that when the Bridegroom (Christ) is present, then people have no need to fast, but when the Bridegroom is taken away, then people will fast (after the Ascension). However, after Bright Week, we do fast from meat, eggs, and dairy on Wednesdays and Fridays.

The fast is also somewhat relaxed during the Apostles' Fast, which can be as long as Great Lent depending on how early Pascha falls on the calendar, and during the Fast of the Theotokos, which is only two weeks long.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

someguy
Jr Member

Re: Slightly different fasting practices?

Post by someguy »

Maria wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

thanks and I'm glad to have discussions with like minded Christians :)

I'm aware of the church's four fasting periods though as mentioned earlier all of the orthodox churches i've known do not always agree on the exact fast to follow.

I could sight many examples though can anyone that has studied "the rudder" maybe comment as to what justification can be referred to for slightly altering from the ecumenical tradition?

I believe that these small revisions are because of later synods though where can these canons be viewed?

thanks again!