On the separation of sexes at church

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

On the separation of sexes at church

Post by Maria »

Is this practice exclusive to the True Orthodox?

From whence did this practice originate?

The article below is excellent.

https://johnbelovedhabib.wordpress.com/ ... /#more-393

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Re: On the separation of sexes at church

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Enjoyed the article, Maria!

To my knowledge (and as mentioned in the article) most conservative Anabaptist groups practice this. I have a long-time friend who is conservative Mennonite (where the women wear cape dresses and a head covering) and on visits to her home have attended their services a number of times. Women and children sit on the left side of the church, men on the right.

Here's how one group explains the reasoning:

http://www.beachyam.org/FAQs.htm

2.6 Why do men and women sit separately in church services?
While most Beachy Amish-Mennonite churches have separate seating, a few smaller churches allow couples to sit together, though singles remain on their sides. There are a couple reasons many Beachy and conservative Mennonite congregations retain separate seating.
1) Because God assigns different roles for men and women in church services (see 1 Corinthians 11 and 14, for example), it is appropriate to have them grouped together so that they can be together as each fulfills his or her roles, such as men being in the leadership role.
2) With mixed seating, there is an emphasis on families sitting together. But when we come together, we are a church family, and the family institution takes a secondary role to the eternal family of God. We ought to function as a church family, not a church of families. Matthew 12:47-50.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Handmaiden50 wrote:

Enjoyed the article, Maria!

To my knowledge (and as mentioned in the article) most conservative Anabaptist groups practice this. I have a long-time friend who is conservative Mennonite (where the women wear cape dresses and a head covering) and on visits to her home have attended their services a number of times. Women and children sit on the left side of the church, men on the right.

Here's how one group explains the reasoning:

http://www.beachyam.org/FAQs.htm

2.6 Why do men and women sit separately in church services?
While most Beachy Amish-Mennonite churches have separate seating, a few smaller churches allow couples to sit together, though singles remain on their sides. There are a couple reasons many Beachy and conservative Mennonite congregations retain separate seating.
1) Because God assigns different roles for men and women in church services (see 1 Corinthians 11 and 14, for example), it is appropriate to have them grouped together so that they can be together as each fulfills his or her roles, such as men being in the leadership role.
2) With mixed seating, there is an emphasis on families sitting together. But when we come together, we are a church family, and the family institution takes a secondary role to the eternal family of God. We ought to function as a church family, not a church of families. Matthew 12:47-50.

Yes, we do this in my parish in Phoenix, Arizona.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Does the separation even include married couples?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Luke wrote:

Does the separation even include married couples?

Yes, and even the children.

When children are between the ages of seven to ten, girls will stand with their mothers while boys stand with their dads.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Sadly, this is a problem in some TOC's I won't name the jurisdiction, but within it it seems that this tradition has been forgotten. I didn't know that about the children, interesting fact.

RaphaCam
Faith: not Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Post by RaphaCam »

I believe my parish (in the Polish Orthodox Church) used to do that, it became obsolete, but men and women still split when going to communion, or cross veneration and antidoron. I heard the local Old Calendarist parish still does it, though, but, on the other hand, their women are unveiled.