Buy Gold and Silver NOW! There is NO Time to waste! The Economy is About to Collapse!

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Buy Gold and Silver NOW! There is NO Time to waste! The Economy is About to Collapse!

Post by Matthew »

Alex Jones, Gerald Celente, Pastor Lindsey Williams, Eric Sprott, Greg Hunter, and a host of others who have for years been warning about the dire state of the economy (with much good reason, I must admit) have nonetheless fallen into a terrible soul-destroying trap. They recommend that every "patriot, freedom loving, Christian, Bible Believing" person get their hands on as much physical Gold and Silver as they possibly can to protect, save, and deliver them in the great economic and likely war-torn tribulation that they say is just around the corner. I want to totally counter their claims with this advice from the Holy Fathers and the Sacred Scriptures that I recently wrote to friend of mine who asked me about this and who had become quite agitated and fearful about the future:

"Buy Gold and Silver NOW! The Economy is About to Collapse!"

Dear X,
In regards to what Alex Jones and others like him say about "the urgency of the hour" -- not to repent and seek Christ and His Kingdom and to cultivate virtue and drive out passions, but rather -- to heap up that, "trusty saviour in times of trouble," Gold and Silver -- I have sent you these words of wisdom from the Holy Fathers for Tomorrow's Sunday Reading (see below). Also, I shall provide two more witnesses on this point:

1. Remember the holy Prophet Ezekiel who prophesies saying, "They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity." (Eze. 7:19)

2. And Righteous Job says, "If I have made gold my hope, or have said to the fine gold, Thou art my confidence; If I rejoice because my wealth was great, and because mine hand had gotten much...This also were an iniquity to be punished by the judge: for I should have denied the God that is above." (Job 31:24-28)

By the mercy of God,
Matthew

Where is the most secure place to store your goods?

"Seekest thou where to store thy fruits? Thou hast secure storehouses, shouldst thou wish them - the bellies of the poor. They are capable of holding a large quantity; in them there is no loss, no spoilage; they last forever." Thus says Saint Philotheos of Constantinople.

Later in the same Commentary he says:
"Every man who strives and struggles for transitory things, labours in vain. Everything in nature is wasted and rotted by time; all of life is full of bustle which has death as its end. A man is rich toward God when he hopes in Him, and has Him as his wealth, glory and boast. He is rich toward God when he believes with all his heart and trusts in Him, that even if he should give away and exhaust all his possessions, he would not lack anything that he needs, but when he will be in need, he will receive from God all that is necessary. But he who lays up treasure for himself, trusts in the greatness of his wealth and is established in his vain way of life; such a fool will hear and suffer the same things heard and suffered by the rich man of the parable. Let us, then, brethren, not lay up treasures for ourselves, nor let us bestow them upon the belly which will only empty them out, nor let us send away empty the poor who come to us. Let us not enrich ourselves wrongly, but rightly, believing that we shall have riches from God. For, Better is a little with justice than great revenues with iniquity (Prov. 16:8, Douay). And, Ye shall have just weights, and just measures, and just measurements (Deut. 25:15, altered). Instead of tearing down and building up material storehouses, let us strive to destroy the stores of sin in the soul, since with their destruction the buildings of virtue increase. And let us not deprive God of His own goods, which He has given us in order that we may supply the needs of those who are in want. For the gifts of good deeds return back to the giver, and unfailing is the wealth of charity. That which is given is received, and that which is spent is saved. In this way we hope to obtain those everlasting good things of the age to come, through the grace and love towards man of our Lord Jesus Christ; to Whom, together with the Father and the Holy Spirit, be glory, dominion and adoration, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

Gospel Commentary, Compiled and Authored by the Holy Patriarch Philotheos of Constantinople ✠1379, On the 9th Sunday of Saint Luke (12:16-21), pp. 520 and 524-52

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Buy Gold and Silver NOW! There is NO Time to waste! The Economy is About to Collapse!

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Matthew.

I have several friends who claim to be Christians, but who are stocking up on gold and silver.

What good is gold or silver when the mere possession of it may be illegal? In addition, several companies who store their gold may be selling the same bar to thousands of people in a ponzi scheme.

It is better to trust in God.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Buy Gold and Silver NOW! There is NO Time to waste! The Economy is About to Collapse!

Post by Matthew »

Proverbs 16:16
How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

Proverbs 22:1
A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

Isaiah 31:7
For in that day every man shall cast away his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which your own hands have made unto you for a sin.

Matthew 10:9
Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,

Acts 3:6
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none...

Acts 20:33
I have coveted no man's silver, or gold...

James 5:3
Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.

Psalm 135:15
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold...

1John 5:21
Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

Thank you, Matthew. I have several friends who claim to be Christians, but who are stocking up on gold and silver. What good is gold or silver when the mere possession of it may be illegal? In addition, several companies who store their gold may be selling the same bar to thousands of people in a ponzi scheme. It is better to trust in God.

Yes, Maria, it is a great temptation in this hour for Christians to rush to the promises of security offered by Gold and Silver. But all of this is an evil deception and a snare. They should put their efforts and concerns to work for them in the seeking of greater intimacy with Christ God, then they will have "a hope which maketh not ashamed" (Romans 5:5 "And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.") But as for money: "Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven." (Proverbs 23:5).

Indeed, even buying physical gold (where there is no problem of mere paper promise from the holding company that sells 100 paper certificates to different customers for the same ounce or ingot) is no help or salvation. He who holds onto gold in hope cannot have any trust in God at the same time. He will either serve and hold to one, or he will serve and put hope in the other.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

In my previous post I said, "He who holds onto gold in hope cannot have any trust in God at the same time. He will either serve and hold to one, or he will serve and put hope in the other." To underscore the point with clarity, permit me to add: If he thinks he can maintain both, he has deceived himself. It is not in vain that we find in the gospel of Matthew and Mark, "He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful." (Matt. 13:22; Mark 4:19). It is self-deceit to imagine I am merely being "wise" whilst still trusting in God." No. St Philotheos of Constantinople says in the above text I posted, that those who lay up treasure for themselves in hope of riding out the times of want are deceived and are not under the protection of God, since we attract His divine assistance by being rich towards him through a lifestyle of hope in His providential care for us and not in money or things we can see or in our own resourcefulness and extreme worldly-wise preparations. I think we should prepare only according to what is normal. Like a farmer who saves a portion of his crop for seeding next year, and as the ant stores for the regular winter season. So also it is not faithless to have the normal stores common to daily and yearly cycles of life or to be hand and know how to do things for oneself, like gardening and canning the work or our own hands. But the heaping up of gold and silver in the tens of thousands of dollars...perhaps I am wrong, but to me that feels like a departure from trust and hope in God or Saviour.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Matthew wrote:

In my previous post I said, "He who holds onto gold in hope cannot have any trust in God at the same time. He will either serve and hold to one, or he will serve and put hope in the other." To underscore the point with clarity, permit me to add: If he thinks he can maintain both, he has deceived himself. It is not in vain that we find in the gospel of Matthew and Mark, "He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful." (Matt. 13:22; Mark 4:19). It is self-deceit to imagine I am merely being "wise" whilst still trusting in God." No. St Philotheos of Constantinople says in the above text I posted, that those who lay up treasure for themselves in hope of riding out the times of want are deceived and are not under the protection of God, since we attract His divine assistance by being rich towards him through a lifestyle of hope in His providential care for us and not in money or things we can see or in our own resourcefulness and extreme worldly-wise preparations. I think we should prepare only according to what is normal. Like a farmer who saves a portion of his crop for seeding next year, and as the ant stores for the regular winter season. So also it is not faithless to have the normal stores common to daily and yearly cycles of life or to be hand and know how to do things for oneself, like gardening and canning the work or our own hands. But the heaping up of gold and silver in the tens of thousands of dollars...perhaps I am wrong, but to me that feels like a departure from trust and hope in God or Saviour.

I agree wholeheartedly. With modern technologies, the state can find those who try to hide gold and silver as well as an underground bomb shelter. We can hide no secrets from the secular authorities. It is best not to our trust in princes, in sons of men in whom there is no salvation.

Our trust must be in God alone. Remember the Seven Youths of Ephesus. Trusting in God, they hid in a cave, and their cave became their tomb when soldiers under Emperor Decius walled them in. Miraculously God saved them and placed them in a deep sleep from which they awoke about 200 years later when Christians were disputing about the Resurrection of the body. If God could place them in a deep sleep during tribulation, He could do the same with us, if we only have faith and trust in Him.

References:
ROCOR - http://www.orthodox.net/menaion-august/ ... hesus.html
OCA - http://oca.org/saints/lives/2013/08/04/ ... of-ephesus

If there is a source from a church within True Orthodoxy, please let me know.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Amen!