Fasting - Is eating shellfish, crab, and shark allowed?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Fasting - Is eating shellfish, crab, and shark allowed?

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

The strict fast (not drinking, not eating) is the one of the first week of lent excepted two meals on Wednesday and Friday night after the presanctified, and on holy Friday. I hope 24 hours without eating and drinking is still manageable for everyone. Add to this the fact that a classic fasting day without oil also means one meal per day after ninth hour to be complete.

However, most people today cannot observe a strict fast and work at the same time. Therefore, under the direction of our spiritual father, most of us follow a modified fast and abstinence.

From homely 9 on the first Epistle of the Corinthians of Saint John Chrysostom :

Suppose you are unable to fast or to practice virginity; although you are able if you will, and they who have been able are a condemnation to us. But, however, God has not used this strictness towards us; neither has He enjoined these things nor laid them down as laws, but left the choice to be at the discretion of the hearers.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/220109.htm

The Saturday before the beginning of the Great Lent is dedicated to the holy ascetics. The synaxary says that they are given as example because they share the same nature as us but succeeded, so they are given as examples and models. To be honest, I am quite worried by this demoralizing and defeating speech about not being able to fast and work at the same time. Would not it be more honest to say not willing or not having enough faith ? If some centuries ago, some common people were able to do so, why is it that such people are less whereas life is easier physically speaking ?

We fast to bring the body under subjugation, to discipline the flesh, not to kill the flesh.

Many of have physical infirmities which prohibit us from fasting. For example, I have low blood sugar as diabetes runs in my family. A strict fast for more than one day could kill me, so my spiritual father has told me to use discretion and follow a modified fast. The best I can do is follow the strict fast on Wednesday and Friday, drink liquids such as water and vinegar, and then eat at least one or two simple meals on the rest of the days. Sometimes I must take a small meal when I feel weak or before I retire, otherwise, my body temperature will drop dangerously low, and I will retire to my bed shivering for hours and be unable to sleep. Incidentally, among the elderly especially, those who eat something before they retire fare better than those who do not as scientists have discovered that many elderly who die in their sleep do so because of low blood sugar.

Even St. Seraphim of Sarov encouraged his nuns to put a piece of bread under their pillows, so that if they awoke feeling weak and sweaty (signs of low blood sugar), they could bless the bread and eat it.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Interesting nuggets from the saints!

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, indeed. However, what about letting the nuns eat something more substantial ?
Bread with white flour is not really good for hypoglycemia, the low blood sugar of which Maria spoke.
I would think some proteinaceous food item would be what anyone really needs.

Not to presume I know better than a Saint, but I would recommend instead before sleep munching on pumpkin seeds.
These are not TOO filling, thus bogging down digestion> they have protein AND the all-important ingredient for sleep,
Magnesium !
Few people know this. Magnesium will put you to sleep more easily but also boost the poor adrenal glands which are actually behind hypoglycemia and diabetes. No doctor today in the Western world thinks of working on adrenals rather than using insulin to treat diabetes. But both of the 'sugar ailments' are directly related to deprived adrenal glands.
Adrenals need LOTS of magnesium. I could go on and on but just to get us thinking here about this topic.

I assume that pumpkin seeds are all right as fasting foods. One can put salt on them to further help the poor adrenals.
It's a very good idea. How many you eat or how much salt you put is up to each, but why not try it ?

Maria, that's scary about your reaction to not eating ! Sounds really terrible. If I were you, I would not do too strenuous fasting even on Wednesdays and Fridays if your situation is that precarious. What do you think, maybe to normalize your food intake a little more ? You don't want your hypoglycemia to descend into diabetes which would be way worse.
There is a progression like this, if the hypoglycemia is left unattended. I don't want to say "untreated" because that implies a medical doctor's treatment. All these conditions can be managed at home.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Barbara wrote:

... I would recommend instead before sleep munching on pumpkin seeds ... One can put salt on them to further help the poor adrenals. It's a very good idea. How many you eat or how much salt you put is up to each, but why not try it ?

I like to use Celtic Salt

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#safe= ... eltic+salt

or any brand of himalayan salt (the pink rock crystal like stuff).

Not sure if the 80 plus trace minerals that either of the above kinds of salt have is significant enough in dosage to really help my body's needs, but figure I would go as natural as possible.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Yes, these are both excellent. I couldn't recommend any other type of salt. Well there is the Real Salt from Utah's lakes.
Compared with the Himalayan Salt, however, it is not as powerful mineral-wise. Also it comes in plastic containers.
The salt is so high-energy that the plastic can easily leach into it.
The Himalayan Salt is normally in glass containers. For awhile, some of it came in cardboard, but I think that got changed. I have not shopped for awhile in a good health food store !

Yes, absolutely, the trace minerals in either of the 2 salts make a HUGE difference in one's bloodstream and general health, I believe. Keep doing that.

It's said to be good to take salt first thing in the morning. I never did that but found recently that on days when I need a lot of energy, I find yself eating salted almonds or similar type of nuts. I think it's a good idea. So much better than the
ridiculous "breakfast" pushed on people in the Western world for a long, long time. Can u imagine how such toxic, indigestible things as bacon have been marketed as almost necessities for a hearty breakfast ? Yikes !

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Interesting points Barbara.
Also, bacon is not very healthy, but probably not a problem if it is in small amounts.