For those who want to build a portable iconostasis

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

For those who want to build a portable iconostasis

Post by Maria »

Portable Hidden Russian iconostasis.jpg
Portable Hidden Russian iconostasis.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Here is an idea. A simple boxed structure can hide a portable iconostasis during time of persecution.

One of my friends obtained an entertainment center or armoire in which she arranged icons in it much like in a church. In her living room, no one noticed this when it was closed, but when it was opened, it was a delight to behold. The door panels held icons when opened, and there were other icons as well.

Whenever a visiting Russian Orthodox priest would visit, he would open this specially built armoire, pull out the altar table, place the antimension on it, and use it to celebrate the Divine Liturgy. There was a tabernacle in the back, candle holders, blessing cross, censer, communion spoon, lance, chalice, and diskos. Vestments and other items such as candles and boxes of incense were stored in the drawers beneath.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: For those who want to build a portable iconostasis

Post by Barbara »

Wow ! To both the creative picture and the ingenious idea of your friend. It's REALLY wise to plan ahead like that so as to be all ready for any unpleasant environments. That's really neat to hear about. It must be costly to build ?

I like the rolling Iconostasis on wheels too. I wonder where it is used [ for travel into remote villages in the Altai or other distant mountain ranges ? ].
Here, it looks like a military or construction corps encampment with the tents, the green tractor or backhoe equipment and the camouflage uniforms.

Have any idea whether such portable iconostases are common now over there ? Or this is a relatively rare example ?