The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

Post by Maria »

I have copied the titles and links to three videos on the Afterlife and given my response to them.
Let us view these good videos and take heed. Please share any responses you might have for the benefit of our souls.

Orthodox Afterlife: The Theotokos and the woman who failed to confess

We have a great intercessor in Heaven, the Most Holy Theotokos.
However, if we truly want to enter Heaven, we must confess all our sins and present out sins to God and His priest in Holy Confession. A humble and sincere Confession not only benefits the soul, it often helps the priest to recognize his own sins.

Orthodox Afterlife: Revelation concerning the Jesus Prayer

Christ commands us to be perfect. In addition, we are to pray unceasingly.
Let us pray for each other that we may die in repentance and with the prayer of Jesus or the Theotokos on our lips.

I talked with my spiritual father recently, and he said that this video is in accordance with Orthodox teachings.
One cannot be indifferent or lukewarm and be saved. We must be sober, watchful, and prayerful at all times. Those who have not consistently progressed toward theosis will not be able to enter Heaven. We either progress and become more godly, or we regress and become lukewarm. This video is a wake-up call to put on Christ, examine our consciences daily, pray unceasingly, help others spiritually, give aid to the poor and destitute, visit the sick and imprisoned, confess our sins frequently to Christ, His Holy Mother, our Guardian Angel, and our spiritual father, and apologize to all whom we have offended.

Lord have mercy.

Orthodox Afterlife: The Angel's Revelation to Abba Macarius

In this video, an Angel of God appears to Abba Macarius and reveals the secrets of the Afterlife.
May we learn from these angelic warnings, and may we pray for our spiritual fathers and priests who will be held to a higher account.

Lord have mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

Post by Barbara »

Maria, that's a great idea that you presented the video along with the 2 others on the same theme grouped together for easier searching under this topic, as well as logical organization - at which you are always superb !

Who is Gregory Decapolite ? Is this a production of the GOC-K film studios ?

I am curious. Is this channel new ? Shall we expect more Orthodox films from this outlet ?

About the Nun Tatiana 1912 vision, apparently she was going to Vasiliev Island where it seems to me that the relics of St Xenia of St Petersburg reside. That caught my attention right away. But maybe the veneration of St Xenia was not as strong in the pre-revolutionary time, for the account makes no mention of a pilgrimage to St Xenia.

Then, where is that delightful monastery or convent ? Surely it is Russian by the architecture. But where is it ?
I would love to see it in real life.
Can we find out from Gregory Decapolite ?

Her story of the visit to somewhere in the afterlife where lukewarm souls are sent is riveting for the listener.

It's great to know that your spiritual father has endorsed this as fully Orthodox. Just in case anyone wonders, due to the unusual details provided.

I am going to look at the other 2. Thank you for finding these timely videos.

What caught my attention most was that only the humans still alive can pray for the souls of the reposed ; the latter are not able to do so for themselves, as is explained firmly to the astonished nun.

That should make all of us put in names faithfully on the commemoration slips for the reposed. Rather than thinking "Maybe it won't make such a difference." IT DOES !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

It is very important to pray morning prayers (see the Jordanville Prayer book) with the daily commemoration of the living and the departed.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Examples of the Efficacy of Prayers Offered for the Dead at the Liturgy and of the Church's Prayers for the Dead

• St. Gregory the Dialogist, Pope of Rome [11], sets before us a remarkable example of the effectiveness of prayer and the bringing of offerings for the departed, which took place in his monastery.

"One brother," he says, "for breaking the vow of poverty, was deprived of a church funeral and prayers after his death for a period of thirty days, in order to strike fear in the hearts of the others. But later, out of compassion for his soul, the Bloodless Sacrifice and prayers were offered up for him for the space of thirty days. On the last of these days, the deceased appeared in a vision to his brother, whom he had left among the living, and said: 'Until now it has gone badly for me, but now I am at peace, for today I received communion.'"

This same holy Father, in his dialogues with the Deacon Peter, tells of the apparition of a dead man who begged a priest to help him by praying for him to God. "From this it is obvious," he concludes, "how profitable the Sacred Sacrifice is for souls; for the souls themselves ask it of the living, and indicate the means by which they are cleansed of sins."

St. John the Merciful, Patriarch of Alexandria, [12] often celebrated the Divine Liturgy for the dead, and stated that it is a great aid to their souls. To corroborate this, he cites the following:

"There was a certain prisoner whose parents, considering him dead, had the Liturgy served three times a year for him—on Theophany, Pascha and Pentecost. After he had been released from captivity, returning unexpectedly to his parents, he recalled that on those very days a certain man of glorious appearance came to him in prison carrying a torch. The fetters fell from his hands and he was freed; the rest of the days he was again in chains as a prisoner."

St. Gregory the Dialogist also relates that during the lifetime of St. Benedict of Nursia [13] there lived two women who had the unfortunate habit of judging their neighbors, speaking evil and reproaching others. Learning of this, the Venerable Benedict said to them: "Curb your tongues, or I will have to excommunicate you from the Holy Mysteries." But, all the same, they did not cease their evil habits and even said nothing in reply to the saint's paternal admonition. Several days later both women died in their virginity and were buried together in the church. When the Divine Liturgy was served and the deacon exclaimed: "Catechumens, depart!", many Christians beheld the two virgins leaving their tombs and the church, for they were unable to remain there during the Divine Liturgy. This occurred at each Divine Liturgy. When St. Benedict discovered this, he took pity on them and, taking a prosphora, he commanded them to take it to the church and to remove a particle from it for the repose of their souls. He also ordered them commemorated during the performance of the Mysteries of Christ. After that, none of the Christians saw them leaving the church. From this, all understood that, owing to the Holy Church's prayer for the departed and the offerings, the departed virgins had received forgiveness from God. [14]

The Greek Emperor Theophilus [15] lived carelessly and did not concern himself with the salvation of his soul. Death found this sovereign in the midst of his sinful life. The Empress St. Theodora, Theophilus' consort, was horrified at the heavy lot that would befall her husband in eternity. At her behest, prayers were increased in the churches, alms were distributed, good works were performed. And what was the result? The prayers of the Church reached the Lord. Theophilus was forgiven, to the spiritual joy of his grieving spouse and to the consolation of the Church, which has so merciful and mighty a Lord, Who gives life to the dead and leads them forth from the abyss of hell, not only bodily, but spiritually. [16]

"But who can number," asks St. John of Damascus, "all of the testimonies found in the biographies of holy men, in the accounts of the lives of the holy martyrs and the divine revelations, which clearly indicate that even after death tremendous benefit is rendered to the departed by prayers, Liturgies and the distribution of alms for them. For nothing given to God perishes in return, but is rewarded by Him with the greatest interest."

http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/prayer_dead.aspx

In this excerpt from this lengthy web article, we see how efficacious are the prayers for the dead, especially remembering them during the Divine Liturgy.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Nice ! Thank you , Maria.

That is amusing about the 2 nuns who had to flee at the words : "Catechumens depart!"
It shows too how seriously all the language of the Divine Liturgy is taken in Heaven. For it must have been Angels who
sternly ushered the 2 former gossipers out of the Church !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Nice ! Thank you , Maria.

That is amusing about the 2 nuns who had to flee at the words : "Catechumens depart!"
It shows too how seriously all the language of the Divine Liturgy is taken in Heaven. For it must have been Angels who
sternly ushered the 2 former gossipers out of the Church !

You are correct. I am sure that their guardian angels were charged with removing them.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good, thank you.

I watched the Theotokos one, and noted how the woman who failed to confess returned to life briefly remonstrated with her family saying approximately : "I don't need your tears, but commemoration at Divine Liturgy and give alms in my name"

It's a good reminder that the tears, though natural, go nowhere. One really shouldn't be crying or sobbing if at all avoidable. It's a waste of energy. Instead, having prayers said for the soul and remembrance at services
is gleams like spiritual gold for the souls who have departed.