The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Good, thank you.

I watched the Theotokos one, and noted how the woman who failed to confess returned to life briefly remonstrated with her family saying approximately : "I don't need your tears, but commemoration at Divine Liturgy and give alms in my name"

It's a good reminder that the tears, though natural, go nowhere. One really shouldn't be crying or sobbing if at all avoidable. It's a waste of energy. Instead, having prayers said for the soul and remembrance at services
is gleams like spiritual gold for the souls who have departed.

Yes, there is a difference between (1) weeping tears of remorse for withholding sins from one's confessor and being frightful of Hell, which one truly deserves; and (2) weeping tears of repentance that can even scald one's face like St. Peter did because he had offended the Lord. Remorse leads to hell, but repentance to Heaven.

Weeping for one's relatives is good (1) if the remembrance of death leads us closer to Christ and makes us more aware of our sinfulness and the need to repent; and (2) if in honor of the loved one, such grief leads to works of mercy such as giving alms to the poor, food to the hungry, water to those who thirst, instruction of the ignorant, comfort to those who mourn, and more mindful attendance at Holy Services -- we can be physically present at the Divine Liturgy, but have we laid aside all earthly cares, and are we fully awake and alert to the tremendous Mystical Sacrifice which is taking place before us?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Here is another youtube video on confession: The man who died on his way to confession
(By St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite)

It is so very important to make a firm resolution not to sin again.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Split a tangent into a new thread:
Overcoming Sins, especially repetitious ones