End of Life Issues and the Holy Faith

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

End of Life Issues and the Holy Faith

Post by Maria »

Should we plan on dying in a hospital where priests are often forbidden to attend a critically ill patient especially when doctors and nurses are trying to revive said patient?

Knowing How Doctors Die Can Change End-Of-Life Discussions

It was about 10 years ago, after a colleague had died swiftly and peacefully, that Dr. Ken Murray first noticed doctors die differently than the rest of us.

"He had died at home, and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember any of our colleagues who had actually died in the hospital," Murray says. "That struck me as quite odd, because I know that most people do die in hospitals."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... iscussions

What If Chemo Doesn't Help You Live Longer Or Better?

"I think some patients would say, 'I don't care, I want to be on chemotherapy; it gives me something to do and it makes me feel that I'm fighting my cancer,' " she says. "That's fine, if patients know that the likelihood of them benefiting from that chemotherapy is still remote, and it will probably make them feel sicker because of toxicities and side effects of the treatment."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: End of Life Issues and the Holy Faith

Post by Matthew »

A natural path is often good and to be preferred. The holy fathers on Athos do not seek extraordinary means of medical intervention but enter eternity willingly.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: End of Life Issues and the Holy Faith

Post by Barbara »

I was just reading a snippet about a little known New Martyr, Evdokia, from the Sarov region. [ + 1919 ]
She was a clairvoyant Eldress. She had fascinating individual ideas which she taught her followers.
The paragraphs I was reading last night, she admonished her disciples to NEVER visit a doctor ! Never, never, never !
She instead recommended recourse to the Church's remedies.

Sure enough, when a disciple disobeyed Evdokia's instruction and saw a doctor, she became worse.
When she resorted to the Church's administrations, she immediately left the door of death and revived completely.

About a hospital repose : to me that would be the most nightmarish thing imaginable ! WHO would want that if they had a choice ? I would imagine it would be wise to pray well in advance that the Mother of God arrange for a safe, painless and peaceful repose, with whomever it's the will of God to be present nearby. Certainly NOT a doctor, unless that person happens to be one's relative anyway !