Should Singles Who Cannot Find a Spouse Become Monastics?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

No one wants to hear this but I believe the solution is : if someone in one of our parishes cannot find a True Orthodox, or let's say, to be reasonable, a conservative World Orthodox spouse who seems open to considering the merits of True Orthodoxy, think that perhaps God intends a monastic life for this searcher. At least, he or she consider the possibility without dismissing it out of hand.
I know some, many even, will roll their eyes.
But of course we need some viable True Orthodox monasteries and convents to sufficiently attract these spouse-searchers.
Even more, thriving monasteries. We have too few as it is.

One thing to NEVER do, however, is to meet any prospectives online. A recipe for dire catastrophe 9.9 times out of 10 !
That's why one would do better if no suitable match is found fairly easily to skip the entire fad of "online dating" and employ that energy toward one's salvation. One may consider himself or herself to be shrewd and not fooled by con-artists.
But when famous experts in this field such as Hare who spent decades studying sociopaths admit that they themselves can NOT discern ANY sociopath whom they meet, how is it that an average Orthodox layperson is going to detect one ? One's whole life can be destroyed at almost the flip of a switch from making this fatefully bad decision.

Safest way : become a postulant at a monastery or convent so that your time on earth will COUNT. Better to be slaving away at obediences and have this work go to YOUR spiritual "credit" than to have your "credit cards" taken from you or misused along with incalculable emotional and spiritual damage from which it may take 15 years to recover !
I have read many of these cases, so I know how many predators lurk. We religious people are considered ideal prey by these aggressors, because we are trained to be obedient to God's rules and to the Holy Church and to her representatives.

If one absolutely feels impelled to do some online scouting for marriage prospects, my best advice would be : don't disclose your religion because it will be used AGAINST you. Test the potential suitor by pretending to be some other religion when chatting.
SEE how the person reacts. Do they reply with apparent heartiness : "Well ! Of all things - I too was born a Roman Catholic but I also fell away from the Church. Now I am not really anything, but I am thinking of joining the Mormons [this was YOUR cover story] ".
Right there you have caught out the person. He or she is only mimicking YOU with the sure intention of defrauding you.
This person is YOUR ENEMY. Not suitable even as a distant acquaintance.

This is called "mirroring", which is how ALL of the con-artists work. They have NO original repertoire because they are agents of the Devil, who is never original. But repeats the SAME tricks over and over.

Sociopaths are believed by anecdotal evidence to be maybe 1 in 10 out of this country's population. Many people believe the percentage is actually higher. BE CAREFUL, is the message ! You don't want to meet them in any context : online, Church parishes, work, etc. !

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Re: Should Singles Who Cannot Find a Spouse Become Monastics

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Barbara wrote:

No one wants to hear this but I believe the solution is : if someone in one of our parishes cannot find a True Orthodox, or let's say, to be reasonable, a conservative World Orthodox spouse who seems open to considering the merits of True Orthodoxy, think that perhaps God intends a monastic life for this searcher. At least, he or she consider the possibility without dismissing it out of hand.
I know some, many even, will roll their eyes.
But of course we need some viable True Orthodox monasteries and convents to sufficiently attract these spouse-searchers.
Even more, thriving monasteries. We have too few as it is.

One thing to NEVER do, however, is to meet any prospectives online. A recipe for dire catastrophe 9.9 times out of 10 !
That's why one would do better if no suitable match is found fairly easily to skip the entire fad of "online dating" and employ that energy toward one's salvation. One may consider himself or herself to be shrewd and not fooled by con-artists.
But when famous experts in this field such as Hare who spent decades studying sociopaths admit that they themselves can NOT discern ANY sociopath whom they meet, how is it that an average Orthodox layperson is going to detect one ? One's whole life can be destroyed at almost the flip of a switch from making this fatefully bad decision.

Safest way : become a postulant at a monastery or convent so that your time on earth will COUNT. Better to be slaving away at obediences and have this work go to YOUR spiritual "credit" than to have your "credit cards" taken from you or misused along with incalculable emotional and spiritual damage from which it may take 15 years to recover !
I have read many of these cases, so I know how many predators lurk. We religious people are considered ideal prey by these aggressors, because we are trained to be obedient to God's rules and to the Holy Church and to her representatives.

If one absolutely feels impelled to do some online scouting for marriage prospects, my best advice would be : don't disclose your religion because it will be used AGAINST you. Test the potential suitor by pretending to be some other religion when chatting.
SEE how the person reacts. Do they reply with apparent heartiness : "Well ! Of all things - I too was born a Roman Catholic but I also fell away from the Church. Now I am not really anything, but I am thinking of joining the Mormons [this was YOUR cover story] ".
Right there you have caught out the person. He or she is only mimicking YOU with the sure intention of defrauding you.
This person is YOUR ENEMY. Not suitable even as a distant acquaintance.

This is called "mirroring", which is how ALL of the con-artists work. They have NO original repertoire because they are agents of the Devil, who is never original. But repeats the SAME tricks over and over.

Sociopaths are believed by anecdotal evidence to be maybe 1 in 10 out of this country's population. Many people believe the percentage is actually higher. BE CAREFUL, is the message ! You don't want to meet them in any context : online, Church parishes, work, etc. !

Monastic life is a calling and one really needs to decern if that life is what the Lord is leading them too. If someone has been single for a number of years they may want to prayerfully consider if this is what the Lord it drawing them to.

I think that if you are part of a parish and a single adult that your position in life (free from responsibilities of spouse/family) would be a plus in that you'd be able to minister to the needs of, say for example, the elderly of the parish, help out couples' with their children, or any number of things.

I agree with you about trying to find a spouse via internet dating sites or even these message boards - stay away at all cost!

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Re Jean-Serge,

You have a point there. But in reality, those people MUST think about the direction of their souls. If a suitable Orthodox spouse can not be found, then I would imagine the attitude would be likely "Resignation".
Rather than seething with frustration.

I bet many of the lay people in our parishes do not even consider the monastic option because it is so off the beaten track in the Western world. As an aside, I did happen to catch sight of a truck marked "MONKS" yesterday. I was so surprised, then thought "the company owners must have that last name". But no, when i craned my neck to look back, I saw the logo sported a jazzed up monastic garment with a hood ! How unusual, I thought : most average people today would have no clue what a monk even is. Still, I thought that was uplifting that a new business in a fiercely secular, anti-Orthodox area would be given this appellation.

It seems that the monastic alternative should be promoted by Priests for those parishioners who can't find the right person.
We must develop convents and monasteries which we lack at this moment [except for a few, like the celebrated Lesna Convent]. We TOCs need enthusiastic members who are willing to put all their souls into building up a beautiful place of prayer, even if only for 2 or 3 people to start.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara,

You must remember that the monastic calling is a calling from God, and that not everyone is called to this angelic life. Some simply do not have the temperament to submit in chastity, obedience, and poverty to an Elder, while others cannot handle it when the going gets tough. For example, in one book, I was reading about the mental abuse that some Elders dish out, as some Elders become quite senile. On the contrary, Herman of Alaska had to deal with some mentally ill monks who tried to kill him. Nasty interpersonal relationships can tempt the most pious among the monks to flee.

However, the married life is also not a bed of roses, or perhaps it is with all the thorns.
It is a calling from God because without devout married couples, we would not have a healthy monasticism.

Take for example, St. Basil. Not only did he become a saint, but also his mother and father and siblings were glorified as saints. Saints beget saints as the home becomes a domestic church in which saints are raised for the glory of God.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Excellent points, Maria ! I DO in fact tend to think that anyone would or could become a monastic. I never realized that bias I have until I read your balanced comments.
I felt a shiver of alarm reading about the senile elders' abuse of monks. Which elders were you thinking of ? That's very important to discuss. Perhaps on another thread ? I would like to learn more.

Well about St Herman, I didn't know that part of his life. But the St Jonah who founded the Holy Trinity-St Jonah Monastery in Kiev reported in his memoirs very similar, SHOCKING attacks by brother monks ! I had never IMAGINED such maliciousness from fellow monastics. Someone even barred his cell door so that he couldn't leave it for 2 weeks. Finally, a superior came to check what was going on and pried the door open. Can anyone imagine this ? It was in a new monastery to which he had transferred. The brothers were jealous and angry because Fr Jonah's presence there had quickly attracted too many pilgrims. The visitors disturbed them and - unbelievably - stopped them from having their afternoon drinking sessions after the Liturgy. The denizens of the monastery grumbled because they now were being forced to stay alert because they had to perform services requested by the pilgrims. The entire Sunday afternoon was taken up with pious observances rather than a good old gossip with one's pals...

They decided to get rid of Fr Jonah in the most extreme manner. My eyes opened widely reading this because I envisioned all monks as diligently working out their salvations in harmony with the rest of the brotherhood, and being willing and obedient. Why else would they be there, I figured ?

In fact, I wonder HOW they do get there if they didn't choose to be received into a monastery ?

So, surely you are correct, Maria : malcontents in a monastery can be deadly. Literally so.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

This topic has been split and moved into Praxis.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Dear Barbara,

I found an ancient post here at E Cafe and thought I would post it as it pertains to monasticism, why some people leave, and the abuse that Elders sometime inflict on their novices.

It is rather a long post, but well worth the time to read it.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 323#p28323