New idea for prayer corner

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

New idea for prayer corner

Post by Maria »

Not only would this bookshelf serve as a nifty icon corner, it would constantly remind us that this life does not last forever, and that we need to practice repentance and strive to grow in theosis through the grace of Christ.

Rearranged, this lovely bookshelf above ultimately can be used at one's death, if it does not warp through age.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: New idea for prayer corner

Post by jgress »

Hm it strikes me as a little kitschy, but that's just my opinion. We should always remember death, but I feel the Cross tends to do a good job of that. I also like that icon of St Sisoes at the grave of Alexander the Great.

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

Whoo hoo! Very well presented, Maria
I couldn't figure out the first photo and then I scrolled down!
I agree with Jonathon about it being kitschy, but I like the parquet floor.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The "bookcase" is WAY, WAY too asymmetrical for me to ever consider. But what a different idea !

Of course, we have all heard of the many monks who used to sleep in their future coffin to remind them that life is too short and one must use it wisely and for repentance of sins, self-improvement in all domains, etc.

My idea is that it may be better to focus on building up one's health and stamina so that one will not have any weakness which could lead to premature death. For, as long as one is alive here, one still has the opportunity to better his spiritual state. Though, like most of my ideas !, it may not be popular, I think it works better to have a very dynamic outlook on life and put the time into developing strong willpower [the ability to say "no" to any wrong avenue] so that one will not be carried off in an untimely manner.

We have to assume, unless informed otherwise by God, that we should work on the assumption that we are to fight to stay here on earth as long as we can. Thus, we need to develop complete soundness of soul, body and a truly alert mind.
This is all vital to repel the Devil's attacks. Surely one of those varieties of attack is the plotting to get a good Orthodox Christian incapacitated in any way, so that he or she cannot pray or work on his or her own soul, let alone help others.

Anyone agree ?