Hello..

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Serge

In the end

Post by Serge »

For more info about and/or to buy Lord Norwich

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Serge: Thankyou for suggesting the Law of God and the Orthodox Church, I do have both of those books and I have read them both, I love the Law of God book and plan on reading it again soon :) The Orthodox Church I read as a Catechumen still and it was very deep! I've read it again though and I understand it alil better, perhaps I shall read it again and then I'll get more out of it?

Denis: Thankyou for the suggestions about reading the Christian church in the cold war, that title itself even sounds interesting to me. Do you know where I could possibly find it at? What is the book, The Northern Thebaid about?

Denis

Post by Denis »

MaryCecilia K wrote:

Serge: Thankyou for suggesting the Law of God and the Orthodox Church, I do have both of those books and I have read them both, I love the Law of God book and plan on reading it again soon :) The Orthodox Church I read as a Catechumen still and it was very deep! I've read it again though and I understand it alil better, perhaps I shall read it again and then I'll get more out of it?

Denis: Thankyou for the suggestions about reading the Christian church in the cold war, that title itself even sounds interesting to me. Do you know where I could possibly find it at? What is the book, The Northern Thebaid about?

Hi Mary,

Amazon.com should have the first title available. The second one is harder to find and possibly out of print. I would like to get a copy myself for it seems still available at the following:

http://monastery.org/s-cart/index.phtml

Here's what they say about it:

Northern Thebaid, The
Product ID Category Name Price Weight Quantity
HER06 Books, Lives of Saints Northern Thebaid, The $17.00 0.00 lbs.
Authored by: Compiled and translated by Fathers Seraphim and Herman of Platina.
Description of Item: From the fourth century A.D., the desert Thebaid of Egypt was home to thousands of monks and nuns who made the desert a city peopled with Christians striving towards the heavens in the Angelic way of life. A thousand years later, no fewer thousands of monks and nuns, likewise seeking communion with God, went to live in the forests of northern Russia, creating what has become known as the "Northern Thebaid." But both in Russia and in Egypt there is the same divine prayer, the same interior silence, leading to direct contact with God. The Northern Thebaid chronicles the lives of a number of these holy men and women of the Russian forests whose lives exemplify the Orthodox monastic tradition. This edition is a facsimile of the original, hand-printed edition and is replete with rare pictures and illustrations from old Russian books and magazines.

Return to Books, Lives of Saints

Copyright 2002

All the best,

Denis

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Book Selections

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Mary Cecilia,

Code: Select all

Fr. George has reccomended [url=http://www.sjkp.org/search.php?static=2582]Journey to Heaven: Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian by St. Tikhon of Zadonsk[/url] as a must-read book for converts and truly all Orthodox Christians. This book is so good that he translated it into English since it was previously available only in Russian and Greek.

This is actually going to be the book of the month for the book club on the portal page of the ROCOR Cafe this month whenever I get the free time to update it!
Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Sat 18 January 2003 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Kissel

Re: Book Selections

Post by Mary Kissel »

Thankyou very much Nicholas :) I shall get that book! I'm glad that Fr George translated it into English. :)

MaryCecilia

Nicholas wrote:

Dear Mary Cecilia,

Code: Select all

Fr. George has reccomended [url=http://www.sjkp.org/search.php?static=2582]Journey to Heaven: Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian by St. Tikhon of Zadonsk[/url] as a must-read book for converts and truly all Orthodox Christians. This book is so good that he translated it into English since it was previously available only in Russian and Greek.

This is actually going to be the book of the month for the book club on the portal page of the ROCOR Caf? this month whenever I get the free time to update it![/quote]