Hello..

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mary Kissel

Hello..

Post by Mary Kissel »

Just thought I'd make a post and see how everyone is doing. Hope everyone is doing well. Has anyone read any books lately that you would like to discuss? Does anyone have any suggestions on what books would be good to read for a person interested in being ROCOR?

In Christ,
MaryCecilia K

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I too would be interested in hearing what books would be profitable to read as people walk (or crawl) further into ROCOR. Experience is the best teacher, of course: but reading is usually helpful as well (especially in the history and political side of things... not that I care for ecclesiastical politics, but in the case of Orthodoxy in America, it seems to be an unavoidable issue).

Serge

Books

Post by Serge »

Well, a good standard intro to Orthodoxy in general that might be acceptable to many in ROCOR would be an earlier, more conservative edition (from the 1960s) of Bishop Kallistos

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I think she was looking for something a bit more ROCOR-specific, but I'm glad you gave some suggestions, at least so she has an idea where to start reading (and she has both those books you mention) I'll also be sure to print out the History you mentioned by Saint John (if I remember, it wasn't too awful long, maybe 4 or 5 typed pages if using the front and back of each sheet?).

Something I'd be particuarly interested in would be a moderate look at what happened in the 60's and 70's, with the formation of the OCA, the building up and constitution of the OCA (Bulgarians, Romanians, etc.), and the whole Ecumenical movement thing and when and why specifically along the way ROCOR and other groups cut off communion with each other. Perhaps this is not available in print, but if it is, and anyone knows about it, please let us know :)

Justin

PS. to Mary: Now if only you could put down Agatha Christie and LOTR for a moment and get back to theological reading! ;) ... hint hint

PSS. Found that history again: http://www.pomog.org/rocor.shtml

Denis

Re: Books

Post by Denis »

[quote="Serge"]Well, a good standard intro to Orthodoxy in general that might be acceptable to many in ROCOR would be an earlier, more conservative edition (from the 1960s) of Bishop Kallistos

Serge

More on books

Post by Serge »

I

Denis

Re: More on books

Post by Denis »

[quote="Serge"]I