Bishop Prompts All Orthodox to Stop Watching TV!

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

I don't think television is wrong! Just don't watch bad things on TV, or in reality of course...

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Turn Off Your Television!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Turn Off Your Television!

A message from the White Dot International Campaign Against Television

The average American watches 4.5 hours of television every day.

You sleep for eight hours. You get up and work for eight hours. Come home, eat some dinner and turn on the television. A few hours later you're getting sleepy. Time for bed.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING??

We're not kidding. All those things you wanted to have in your life: passion, romance, love, childhood, parenthood, adventure� when are you going to do all that?

You're staring at a piece of furniture!

People on TV are not your friends. They're not in the room with you. You are alone in the dark, staring at a plastic box. Think about it. This is like a science fiction horror story; but it's really happening. People have stopped living as humans and connected themselves to machines instead.

You're only going to live for 75 years, if you're lucky. How much time do you have left? Enough to spend one whole day every week with fake friends, watching their imitation lives instead of living your own?

TV doesn't give you experiences, it takes them away!

On your deathbed, what if someone could give you back those ten years of television? What if they said you could have another ten years to be with the people you love, find new people, do things differently. What would you say?

www.whitedot.org

DavidHawthorne

WKRP Orthodoxy

Post by DavidHawthorne »

I have been "unemployed" for a few months and carrying on my trade of landscape and pool design on a freelance basis. This has enabled me to design and listen to online radio as I work....... if there is anyone who is not aware of it- ancientfaithradio.com is an excellent, excellent........ O.K., excellent x 40 edifying resource to avail yourself of............

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

Dear in Christ David,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Ancient Faith Radio is a great resource for those of the Orthodox Faith as well as those who might be seeking to learn more on the True Faith. There are a few people here where I live who have asked me "What I am listening to all day long on my iTunes player.." and when I tell them what it is they want the address because "the chanting is pretty" or some other reason, but in my eyes the hymns and psalms of the Church just might be what they need to look into the Faith and enter into the Truth of the Orthodox Church.

I have also written to te wesite authors and told them of my feelings as well which is always good to do so that they know how far-reaching their ministry is.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

It's ironic that this thread should be up right now. For 3 years now my wife and I have been married, and never gotten cable TV (though we watched it when we lived with the in-laws for a bit... BAD trade off :P ). That will change tomorrow afternoon. I mean, hey, I have to watch the Pittsburgh Penguins this year... oh yeah, and some team called the Steelers...

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Oh the timing!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This week is TV Turn Off Week according to http://www.TVTurnOff.org