Bishop Prompts All Orthodox to Stop Watching TV!

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

TV Watching = Obesity and Diabetes?

Post by Justin Kissel »

That's the conclusions of one study

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I can understand how that would happen, especially since when some people usually watch tv they don't just watch one show...they watch multiple shows and eat fatening foods. Also when you're not paying attention you tend to eat more than you actually planned on eating...for example sitting down in front of the tv with a bag of potatoe chips and a can of soda...you end up eating the whole bag of chips without even realizing it. Sorry if I'm rambling...I guess I'm just trying to say that I agree that this can and probably does happen.

MaryCecilia

Justin2

It's Not Surprising.

Post by Justin2 »

I was at the movie theater last night, with my wife, and we were in line for popcorn, and as usual, I was shocked by the prices. But what shocked me even more were the quantities. The most troubling aspect of the whole setup was that the larger you bought, the cheaper it became. I've seen this phenomenon everywhere (for instance, "super-sizing" at your local fast-food chain, or getting a venti frappuccino for only twenty-five cents more). There's this mentality we have that says "buy more" just because it's cheap. Perhaps if there was a deal like this for worthwhile things, but not for a 23 oz. vat of sugar syrup with some carbonated water in it! There's just nothing healthy about consumer culture. I can't really say anything concerning television. We have one here, for watching the occasional movie, but we never watch programs or anything.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Television

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This is like the 4th Lent I have gone with TV, and I still have not plugged it back in. I am ready to get rid of it, but my daughter has so many video tapes that I do not think we can yet. I think that within 2 years we can get to that point, hopefully.

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I can't imagine having a screen around for videos could be all that bad, with proper parental filtering. There are good, moral, insightful movies that kids can watch. I think that constant saturation with television, though has crippled an entire two or three generations. Of course, say what we will about television, the internet is a close member of the "sit down and be entertained" family :| I think that most technology today has benefits, but at the same time, as technology provides us with great power, we have to exercise great responsobility with it. I suppose the bottome line would be to question whether we watch television, or whether television, in fact, watches us!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Of course, say what we will about television, the internet is a close member of the "sit down and be entertained" family

Indeed! :( I found that when I pitched the television, my hours on the computer increased greatly! I spent more time doing more protiable things, but the computer did pick up about half of the time I had spent watching TV. It's the want of being constantly entertained that we sometimes have to get rid of, not just the vehicles for delivering the entertainment.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Very True.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Very true. I find the same thing. I want to read but get caught up in the whole Internet world until bed time somethimes. :ohvey: