Raising kids with religion may protect mental health

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Raising kids with religion may protect mental health

Post by Maria »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... 1652632874

Yes, I am merely copying the title of the article. Kids are baby goats. The proper word for human youngsters is children.

Below are the first two paragraphs from Forbes. To read the complete article, please click the link above.

A new study from Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health finds that kids and teens who are raised with religious or spiritual practices tend to have better health and mental health as they age. ... The research, published last week in the American Journal of Epidemiology, finds that people who prayed or meditated on their own time also reaped similar benefits, including lower risk of substance abuse and depression later on.

The team looked at data from 5,000 people taking part in the long-term Nurses' Health Study II and its next generation Growing Up Today Study (GUTS). They were interested in whether the frequency with which a child/teen attended religious services with their parents or prayed/meditated on their own was correlated with their health and mental health as they grew into their 20s. The young people were followed for anywhere from eight to 14 years. ...

Other studies have shown that the father has more influence on a child's religious preference once they enter adulthood than the mother. Boys as well as girls tend to be more religious if their own father is religious, and it is very important for a husband to be the religious head of the family and to lead family prayers.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Re: Raising kids with religion may protect mental health

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Thank you for sharing that maria.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:

Thank you for sharing that maria.

You are very welcome.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Panteri_VRS

Post by Panteri_VRS »

I wish more people would read this... We've been saying this exact thing since atheism became relatively widespread, but nobody will listen to this, of course!