California passes assisted suicide bill August 2018

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

California passes assisted suicide bill August 2018

Post by Maria »

California Legislature Passes Bill Letting People Kill Their Family Members in Assisted Suicides

Alexandra Snyder Aug 8, 2018 | 10:26AM Sacramento, CA

http://www.lifenews.com/2018/08/08/cali ... -suicides/

Yesterday afternoon, the California Senate passed SB 282 which legalizes aiding, advising, or encouraging assisted suicide. The bill was rushed through on the first day the legislature returned from its summer recess, giving no opportunity for debate or even opposing remarks.

The bill was introduced in the wake of Life Legal’s challenge to California’s assisted suicide law.

We registered our opposition to the bill early on, as it grants complete legal immunity to anyone who wants to facilitate the death of someone who is defined as “terminally ill” under California’s assisted suicide law. The law defines “terminal” as a condition expected to lead to death within six months if left untreated.

This means diabetes, high blood pressure, treatable conditions—even an infection—could be considered “terminal.”

Medical studies show that the vast majority of people—up to 77%—diagnosed with a terminal illness suffer from major depression. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found a “statistically significant association between clinical depression and the desire for hastened death.” In other words, people who are depressed often have suicidal thoughts.

Now the law in California says that it is okay to aid, advise, or encourage people with suicidal thoughts to actually go through with killing themselves.

California’s assisted suicide law allows “interested” witnesses, which include beneficiaries, to sign a person’s request for assisted suicide drugs. The new law—assisted suicide on steroids—allows an individual to aid, advise, and encourage a person to commit suicide—AND sign off on the method of suicide—while financially benefitting from the person’s death. And it’s all legal now.

Under existing law, “Any person who deliberately aids, advises, or encourages another to commit suicide is guilty of a felony.” Yesterday, the California legislature carved out an exception to this long-standing law that will give unscrupulous family members and others unqualified immunity to actively participate in the killing of another human being.

We believe this is a radical—and dangerous—policy shift that devalues human life.

Please join with Life Legal as we

Code: Select all

Urge Governor Jerry Brown to veto AB 282.
    Ask Catholic Bishops around the country to encourage Brown, a professing Catholic, to refrain from signing the bill into law.[/quote]

This is another reason not to move to California or to leave the state immediately.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: California passes assisted suicide bill August 2018

Post by Maria »

. . .

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

I wonder if this could be a first step into leading and also encouraging elderly people to use that option scary thinking where this could lead also ones soul.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Years ago, I had a dream, and I think this was a warning.

All sick, disabled people, and senior citizens were asked to come to the local junior high school to supposedly be given a free health screening. In the gym, there were set up hundreds of stations each with a black gurney, which was curtained off. Each bed had an IV set up. As the sick, disabled, and elderly were brought into the gym, their friends and/or families who had accompanied them were asked to assemble in the school assembly hall. Workers dressed in teal fatigues guided each citizen to a bed where their arms were bared, an IV was plugged into them, poison was administered, and they were gone within ten minutes. Outside the gym, there were 18 wheelers that were being unloaded and then loaded with huge reinforced plastic boxes that could hold three cadavers each. These huge boxes were being moved using skip loaders. As one freight train box was hauled away another was pulled into place. It was a very rehearsed operation with only one purpose: to kill as many people as possible under the guise of free Medicare for all.

Before going to any free event, look around first, be observant, be careful. Nothing in life is free.