Oldest depiction of Christ being mocked

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Oldest depiction of Christ being mocked

Post by Justice »

This is truly fascinating to me:

"The image is carved in plaster on a wall in Rome and is dated to somewhere between the 1st and 3rd centuries. It depicts a man looking at a person with the head of a donkey that’s being crucified, and it says, “Alexamenos worshipping God.” It’s believed that this was intended to be mocking the faith of a Christian named Alexamenos."

There was a common misconception in Roman society that Christians were "donkey worshippers" from the misconception that Jews worshipped God in the form of a donkey as described by the Iliad commentator Apion.

I have a theory that since the graffiti was discovered on Palatine Hill, the place where Caligula had bought the building for his imperial palace, that a pagan, Roman general could have possibly done this art.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Oldest depiction of Christ being mocked

Post by Maria »

Dear Justice,

Since you quoted some material, you need to provide a link to the article.

By the way, this is blasphemy, and is not an image of Christ, so I corrected the titie.

In Christ,
Maria
Administrator

p.s. It looks like a young teenager or child under the influence of the pagans did this very primitive mockery.

It is very possible that the child depicted to the left side of the mockery could be a self-portrait of the very person who wrote this inscription and blasphemy. Certain famous artists of the past have been known to include a self-portrait as a way of claiming their own art work.

Generals would have had some education, as they would have come from the wealthy class, so their works of art would have been more sophisticated.

It is definitely not a work of art as much better sculptures and frescoes can be seen in museums and in still existing ancient buildings.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

The link to the article can be found here: https://churchpop.com/2015/03/09/6-of-t ... -of-jesus/

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

The graffiti depicts a Christian on the left side by the name of Alexamenos. Therefore how can it be a self portrait? The inscription says that this is a man worshiping Christ.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

The graffiti depicts a Christian on the left side by the name of Alexamenos. Therefore how can it be a self portrait? The inscription says that this is a man worshiping Christ.

Now I understand. This is so wrong.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.