depictions of mythical beasts

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

depictions of mythical beasts

Post by Justice »

Recently I saw a documentary on the Normans. and when they reached southern Rome, they ended up conquering it. They built this church with depicted the griffin. Isn't this blasphemous in the Orthodox church?

d9popov

Re: depictions of mythical beasts

Post by d9popov »

What one group did should not trouble us. We focus on the consensus of the Scriptures, Councils, Fathers, and liturgical books and traditions. The Old Testament commanded some graven images (Cherubs). Orthodox Christian icons have symbolism. Angels, demons, and Hades can be depicted with bodies. A good place to start is Constantine Cavarnos's 2-volume Guide to Byzantine Iconography.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: depictions of mythical beasts

Post by Justice »

Thank you I finally found the church, its called the church of Martorana.