GMO wheat flour used in Eucharistic wafers and phosphora?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

GMO wheat flour used in Eucharistic wafers and phosphora?

Post by Maria »

http://www.globalresearch.ca/geneticall ... an/5598558

This is not really recent news because Catholic and Orthodox Christians have been using white all-purpose wheat flour for years to bake communion wafers or prosphora, even though white all-purpose wheat flour is not labeled as GMO-free. Furthermore, t is commercially available, widespread, and cheap, and it makes beautiful white communion wafers or prosphora.

Most importantly, white all-purpose wheat flour has always (ever since I can remember) been adulterated with barley to improve taste and texture. Back in 1996, I visited many supermarkets and health food stores inquiring about the availability of all-purpose white wheat flour that did not contain barley. I was told that all brands of all-purpose white wheat flour contains barley without exception because barley is very important in the baking process.

Nevertheless, Catholics and Orthodox Christians alike have been told not to be scrupulous and to go ahead and use the wheat--barley flour for making the Eucharistic bread. Even Bishop Auxentios of Etna and Portland of the GOC-Kallinikites, when asked about purchasing and using white wheat-barley all-purpose flour for baking prosphora: said that it is okay to do so as the amount of barley present is negligible and that most wheat flour commercially available today is most likely tainted with GMOs anyway. Again, he said that we cannot become anxious and scrupulous over this matter.

Not only does modern non-organic GMO wheat contain foreign genes in its DNA, but also non-organic wheat fields are sprayed with multiple pesticides, herbicides, and with glyposates (Round-Up) to dry the kernels evenly so they will not spoil. Thus, non-GMO, non-organic all purpose white wheat-barley flour is adulterated and should not be used to bake communion bread.

So, it appears that everyone is now on the band wagon to use adulterated flour in making bread for the Eucharist.

Then one must ask: why are Monsanto-Bayer and Dole so consumed about controlling our entire food supply.

Is it simply to become a monopoly by becoming the only source of food on earth?

AND/OR

Is it more sinister: to destroy the ability of Christians to celebrate the Divine Liturgy by adulterating the wheat and grapes necessary for celebrating the Holy Eucharist?

Several of our old saints said that when Christians could no longer celebrate the Holy Eucharist, then Christ will come again. So, we must ask another question: Is Monsanto-Bayer trying to hasten the return of Christ?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: GMO wheat flour used in Eucharistic wafers and phosphora?

Post by Justice »

Very interesting, I never thought about what bread to use in the Eucharist, and judging by your analysis Maria, we are getting close to judgement day.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Glyphosate weed killer is sold under numerous brand names, but the most widely used is Roundup, manufactured by the Monsanto company. The state of California is using statute CAS #107-83-6 to change the designation of the weed killer, which they say has cancer as a known endpoint for some people who are exposed to it. ...

What’s disturbing is that even non-GMO crops like barley and wheat are being sprayed with glyphosate to speed drying times before harvest. This means that a highly-toxic herbicide is being sprayed on non-GMO crops without consumer awareness. The contaminant has been found in non-organic wheat products like bread, muffins and packaged cereal.

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/glyphos ... -2304.html

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maria, have we discussed about Bayer's planned buyout of Monsanto ? You mentioned the two above as though one company.

Has the deal gone through in the US ? I just read that in Europe, frantic efforts are being made to halt the approval of this dangerous buyout.

Also, what kind of flour would be healthy and non-GMO for Eucharistic wafers and for prosphora ?
Are there any Churches which use that type, as far as you have heard ? I guess no TOC's, since you wrote that the Etna Diocese has approved the usual all-purpose flour.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Maria, have we discussed about Bayer's planned buyout of Monsanto ? You mentioned the two above as though one company.

Has the deal gone through in the US ? I just read that in Europe, frantic efforts are being made to halt the approval of this dangerous buyout.

Also, what kind of flour would be healthy and non-GMO for Eucharistic wafers and for prosphora ?
Are there any Churches which use that type, as far as you have heard ? I guess no TOC's, since you wrote that the Etna Diocese has approved the usual all-purpose flour.

The Etna diocese of the SiR has merged with the Portland diocese of the HOTCA synod.
It is now called the DEP or Diocese of Etna and Portland.
And yes, DEP allows GMO modified all-purpose flour with barley to be used in their
Eucharistic Bread as Dr. Auxentios sees no problem with adulterated flour.
I no longer attend that synod.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Barbara wrote:

The Etna diocese of the SiR has merged with the Portland diocese of the HOTCA synod.
It is now called the DEP or Diocese of Etna and Portland.
And yes, DEP allows GMO modified all-purpose flour with barley to be used in their
Eucharistic Bread as Dr. Auxentios sees no problem with adulterated flour.
I no longer attend that synod.

Lord have mercy. Perhaps the best option for the True Orthodox would be to grow their own wheat. Though sadly most TOCs are located in urban areas.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh yes, I know, Maria, about the merger. I tend to not remember that name, though -- because it reminds me of a hair gel that was popular some years ago called Dep Gel.

So using only wheat flour is the solution, Justice ? Wheat is not that difficult to grow. Some TOC people would have to have a small farming area, harvest the wheat, and be able to send the wheat flour to requesting parishes. It's really a good idea. Just would have to be set up with willing people.