"Was Jesus a Buddhist Monk?" BBC Documentary

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

"Was Jesus a Buddhist Monk?" BBC Documentary

Post by Justice »

Out of all the films that go against our lord (The Last temptation of Christ Peter Jennings' "Jesus" etc) this one takes the cake. In 2011 BBC did a Documentoy about Jesus being a Buddhist monk. The documentary is very long so I'll try to explain it the best I can though if you want to watch it for yourself here's the link:

The basic premise of this documentary focuses on the gospels, the "unknown years of Christ" and various ways Jesus might have escaped from Jerusalem. The film starts out by saying that the oldest known bible had extra gospels and the gospel of st Mark ends early. Then they go on the talk about the birth of Christ. They say that the three wise men came from Tibet and thought they found the reincarnation of the Dali Lama and so the wise men took Jesus back to Tibet and raised him in a Buddist Monastery until he came back to Jerusalem at 29. Then they go onto say at his crucifixion, that he wasn't left up long enough on the cross and escaped to either France or India with st Mary Magdelene who they claim was his wife. One of the people in the documentary said this blasphemous thing "I don't have a problem with Jesus having sexual relations because he was human". After that, they talk about India and how the Indians have someone very similar to Jesus in their pagan religion and then they go to this gravesite which had two tombs one was buried in the Muslim tradition, and one was buried in the Jewish tradition. The people in the documentary tell the viewers that it's a complete fact that the tomb is Jesus's and therefore Christianity is false. At the very end of the documentary, they say that "Even though the gospels aren't accurate, they still have a good message and Bible should still be used for good works".

Looking back on this documentary, it's very flawed. I really wish GOCTV would review and critique it as well but since they haven't done one yet I will. The main problem with this documentary is this: The reporters are bias and wish to disprove Christianity. They clearly didn't do any research about the extra gospelsand the gospel of st Mark ending early the reason is because the bible was made before the first ecumenical council and therefore, didn't have a proper decided cannon. As for Jesus and the wise men, the Orthodox Study Bible says the three wise men most likely came from Persia and expected the coming of the messiah. Not a reincarnation. For Jesus not being left of the cross long enough to die and being able to escape with Mary Magdelene, even if this were true how would he and she escape with Jerusalem heavily guarded with Roman soldiers? Exactly it's not possible! For st Mary Magdelene being his wife, this would defeat the fact that Jesus was celibate which Monks and Nuns continue to keep this tradition. Just because a pagan religion has someone who is similar to Jesus doesn't mean that Christianity has pagan roots. These historians come to this conclusion in an instant. As for the Jewish grave, like I said before this doesn't mean that Jesus was buried here. it could maybe be an early Jewish Christian grave of a random person. But all in all it's just another Historical Jesus documentary with a Buddist idea.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: "Was Jesus a Buddhist Monk?" BBC Documentary

Post by Luke »

People like to theorize about Jesus and consider Him a great person, a prophet, a work of fiction, a buddhist monk, a nice guy from Alpha Centauri -- anything but the Lord.