Medical and Ethical Conflicts of Interest in Modern Medicine

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Medical and Ethical Conflicts of Interest in Modern Medicine

Post by Maria »

Harvard's Dr. Marcia Angell, M.D. recently stated:

"It's simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of the New England Journal of Medicine.

“No one knows the total amount provided by drug companies to physicians, but I estimate from the annual reports of the top 9 U.S.-based drug companies that it comes to tens of billions of dollars a year in North America alone. By such means, the pharmaceutical industry has gained enormous control over how doctors evaluate and use its own products. Its extensive ties to physicians, particularly senior faculty at prestigious medical schools, affect the results of research, the way medicine is practiced, and even the definition of what constitutes a disease.” It's the pharmaceutical industry's ties to senior faculty of prestigious medical schools that affect the results of research."

https://ethicalnag.org/2009/11/09/nejm-editor/.

Lest perhaps someone were to question the credentials of this doctor, below is Dr. Marcia Angell's biography published at http://web.med.harvard.edu/healthcaucus/ac_angell.html

Biographical Sketch of Marcia Angell, M. D., F.A.C.P.

Marcia Angell, M. D., is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School. She stepped down as Editor-in-Chief of the New England Journal of Medicine on June 30, 2000. A graduate of Boston University School of Medicine, she trained in both internal medicine and anatomic pathology and is a board-certified pathologist. She joined the editorial staff of the New England Journal of Medicine in 1979, became Executive Editor in 1988, and Editor-in-Chief in 1999.

Dr. Angell writes frequently in professional journals and the popular media on a wide range of topics, particularly medical ethics, health policy, the nature of medical evidence, the interface of medicine and the law, and care at the end of life. Her critically acclaimed book, Science on Trial: The Clash of Medical Evidence and the Law in the Breast Implant Case, was published in June, 1996, by W. W. Norton & Company. In addition, Dr. Angell is co-author, with Dr. Stanley Robbins and, later, Dr. Vinay Kumar, of the first three editions of the textbook, Basic Pathology. She also wrote chapters in several books dealing with ethical issues.

Dr. Angell is a member of the Association of American Physicians, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of the Sciences, the Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Medical Society, and is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. In 1997, Time magazine named Marcia Angell one of the 25 most influential Americans.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Medical and Ethical Conflicts of Interest in Modern Medicine

Post by Maria »

Dr. Marcia Angell is not the only highly qualified scientist who is questioning much of what is being written in peer-reviewed scientific journals as ghost writers get top physicians to add their name onto research that never took place in order to get dangerous drugs fast tracked and approved by the FDA. Many others have also questioned research, which the FDA has had to admit was falsified in order to fast track deadly drugs, but unfortunately, this was often after many patients had suffered serious side effects, including death.

Not surprisingly, we find this quote:

"But after reading her [Dr. Marcia Angell's] article in the New York Review of Books called Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption, one wonders if any medical journal on earth is worth anybody’s respect anymore."

-- https://ethicalnag.org/2009/11/09/nejm-editor/

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.