Is it ethical to prescribe or use drugs that can kill?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Is it ethical to prescribe or use drugs that can kill?

Post by Maria »

Recently, there has been a lot of research into pharmaceutical drugs administered by the medical profession and the harm that they do. In fact, every drug in the PDR used by the medical profession has a lethal side effect or it is not placed into the PDR.

Is it ethical for physicians to administer these drugs with dangerous fluoride and other halogens that can go through the blood brain barrier and wreck havoc with the brain? They leave patients, especially senior citizens, with delirium, seizures, and strokes, and psychosis.

Neurotoxic effects associated with antibiotic use: management considerations
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3175508/

When Medicines Turn on You: Antibiotics Leave Patients With Psychosis, Stroke-like Symptoms
https://news.vice.com/article/when-medi ... e-symptoms

An excerpt:

At first, doctors in Boston thought a patient, a woman in her 20s, was having a stroke or some kind of abnormal immune system reaction. Her speech was slurred, she became confused, and, eventually, had trouble walking, though she had been originally hospitalized for an inflammatory bowel disease called ulcerative colitis and put on an antibiotic called metronidazole.

After spotting key changes in MRI images of the woman's brain, her doctors were shocked to find that the delirium was probably caused by the antibiotic she was taking, said Dr. Shamik Bhattacharyya, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

"In retrospect, we thought that it was curious that we had not even considered the possibility initially," he said. "This is just one of many cases which motivated us to study this subject further." ...

Delirium linked to hospital antibiotics
http://www.besthealthnutritionals.com/b ... tibiotics/
Notice this excerpt:

You could go into the hospital with a sound mind – even if you have a sick body – and get sent home battling the shadowy demons of delusions, hallucinations, paranoia and more.

It’s a terrifying condition called delirium, and it’s one so bad that seniors who’ve been through it and come out the other side say it’s like living inside of a nightmare.

We know it’s often caused by powerful hospital meds such as anesthesia, combined with the loud, bright, sleepless, and thoroughly unpleasant conditions of the typical hospital stay.

But the latest research goes even further, linking delirium to a class of drug that most docs never even realized could trigger this condition: antibiotics.

This is one of the drug-resistant microorganisms, the causative vector of Walking Pneumonia, which almost killed me when I was young:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_pneumoniae

Mycoplasma pneumoniae is a very small bacterium in the class Mollicutes. It is a human pathogen that causes the disease mycoplasma pneumonia, a form of atypical bacterial pneumonia related to cold agglutinin disease. M. pneumoniae is characterized by the absence of a peptidoglycan cell wall and resulting resistance to many antibacterial agents. The persistence of M. pneumoniae infections even after treatment is associated with its ability to mimic host cell surface composition.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Is it ethical to prescribe or use drugs that can kill?

Post by Luke »

I do not know if steroids count in this category, but on account of ear pain and hearing loss in December, I had to take prednisone for three weeks in January. If I had to do it over again, I do not know if I would. There were physical and psychological side effects from the drug that I never want to go through again.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Is it ethical to prescribe or use drugs that can kill?

Post by Maria »

Steroids used to be "natural" until the pharmaceutical companies discovered that they could not patent natural drugs and make millions of dollars on them. Therefore, all steroids administered have dangerous side effects because of the addition of foreign ions like fluoride.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.